Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Emergency Preparations

Giving the Gift of Prepping - Gifts

<< < (17/18) > >>

FreeLancer:
Well, I scored back one of my own Nitecore Thumbs at an office party gift exchange yesterday, where, after some idiotic musical chair thingy, I was left holding my own gift.  And I was very happy.  Beats the hell out of yet another Starbucks something or other.

Call me Scrooge, but I effing hate Christmas.  So effing much.  I much prefer giving people stuff randomly year around, rather than in a force fed frenzy of fake generosity over three weeks at the end of each year. 

Humbug.

CPT Morgan:

--- Quote from: FreeLancer on December 16, 2016, 02:06:40 PM ---Humbug.
--- End quote ---

Bummer...  I was so with you, until I read your second paragraph.

mountainmoma:

--- Quote from: FreeLancer on December 16, 2016, 02:06:40 PM ---Well, I scored back one of my own Nitecore Thumbs at an office party gift exchange yesterday, where, after some idiotic musical chair thingy, I was left holding my own gift.  And I was very happy.  Beats the hell out of yet another Starbucks something or other.

Call me Scrooge, but I effing hate Christmas.  So effing much.  I much prefer giving people stuff randomly year around, rather than in a force fed frenzy of fake generosity over three weeks at the end of each year. 

Humbug.

--- End quote ---

I dont think I would like that either -- I dont exchange gifts with very many people, as they dont need anything. It is also not in my values to give out a bunch of useless stuff. I give gifts to my 3 kids, who are young enough to actually need things. My 2 nieces, because it gives joy to every one else to see them get things ( dont know what the extended family is going to think about the folding knife with the 3 inch blade the 17yo is getting....), we only give stuff to "the kids" at our extended family gathering, and there are very few. We all decided years ago to not exchange gifts. For a while before that, we would be given a "random" name, so all adults had one gift, and by only buying one it could be given with more thought and meaning. There are also 2 elderly folks in our family, one is hard pressed, so I give her pj's or a jacket or soemthing, the other is lonely, and I give her a few photos of the kids and some homemade candy. Now, that is a tradition, and expected to give her fudge, but that is easy enough to do.

I dont have work or other random exchanges I need to be a part of. No random secret santa stuff.

When my dd was part of a group, I felt like you for sure ! How was it fun to be forced to go out and buy some random thing for some random kid ? I mentioned this to other involved adults. Probably contributed to social isolation for me.... you would think other parents wold see this . Glad to be past this.

I do not exchange gifts with friends or my brothers, we are adults who dont need stuff.

I sent one of my brothers something last xmas, before xmas, as I knew their household was having a hard emotional time, I actually sent one of those Harry and David smaller things. I wanted him and the girls to know they were thought of, and have something surprising and cheery.  He has PTSD, so was initially freaked out to have a package at the house. I hadnt thought of that, but once he saw the --small-- teeny -- printed message from me on the label, he relaxed and they enjoyed it. The girls realy liked having a surprise, special snack.

FreeLancer:

--- Quote from: mountainmoma on December 16, 2016, 03:02:00 PM ---How was it fun to be forced to go out and buy some random thing for some random kid?

--- End quote ---

Even as a kid I always thought the whole classroom secret Santa gift exchange was some kind of diabolical exercise in social shaming and coercion.  I'm sure we all remember the kids at school who barely got enough to eat or wear.  Why the hell were they expected to come up with a present at Xmas?

Don't get me wrong, I really like giving people stuff (or, even better, money) they actually need or want.  I just hate the knee-jerk expectation of reciprocity that comes with doing it at Christmas time.  I'd much rather give people stuff and not have them feel obligated to give me anything in return.  That just doesn't seem like genuine generosity to me.  It's just a meaningless charade that, more often than not, results in little more than a misallocatation of resources.

mgw44:
For families I would recommend the res q me keychain at resqme.com. It has a glass breaking tool and seat belt cutter.

I have three kids in car seats and can't imagine trying to get them out of a burning or sinking car. I carry this with the thought it will help. Being a key chain I always know where it will be in the car too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version