Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 51861 times)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #150 on: September 26, 2009, 12:01:58 AM »
I have learned so much. SisterWolf got me hooked on knitting fingerless mittens and I discovered I love to knit socks, BTW thanks so much for that, I am having a wonderful time making socks and mitts. Jack's podcasts have inspired me to think about what I need to do. I have gotten some great advice and suggestions about how to get started and not be overwhelmed.

Yer welcome, swoods!!!!!!  :) :) :)

Amyglyn

« Reply #151 on: September 27, 2009, 01:41:41 PM »
Heya

So I figured I ought to post an intro here as well. I don't know much about things from the survival perspective yet, however I am a trained Birth Doula as well as a child care provider, so i know littleones quite well. Hopefully I will be able to add to the disussion here... but if not you gals seem to have enough info to keep me busy for ages.

Offline neesespieces

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #152 on: September 27, 2009, 05:33:49 PM »
Hi!! I'm Denise. I've been listening to the podcasts and lurking on the forums for a couple of months. I thought I should go ahead and start contributing to the forums....that is when I have something...instead of just reading them. 

I live in Georgia, but am originally from Alabama. I'm single and 26 years old.  I grew up in the country. We always had a garden and my mom always canned. Everyone helped in the garden. Afterward, when it was time to shell peas or snap beans and even occasionally shucking corn, we all helped. My mom used to sew all of our clothes...at least us girls...so I've been in a prepping type environment all my life. I've never sewn or canned but I'm working on gaining that knowledge. I can crochet a little and am working on getting better at that.

I'm not in a position right now where I can actively prep. I'm living with family right now who are not even the tiniest bit interested in prepping. Since I can't store food here or plant a garden, I'm trying to do and learn other things like getting out of debt, learning to sew, putting together a BOB...especially since living near a big city...and even reading and learning about how to do other things for when I finally get the chance. 

One thing I'm trying to learn is about medicinal herbs. I have family members with health problems and it worries me that there may come a time when they don't have access to their meds and I want to be able to help them in any way possible. So if anyone has any recommendations for books, etc., then I'd appreciate them.

I've already learned so much from reading the forums and can't wait to learn more.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #153 on: September 27, 2009, 05:41:59 PM »
Welcome to both of our noobs!  :)

Offline KatieH

• Prepper
« Reply #154 on: October 09, 2009, 07:02:11 PM »
Heya! I'm Katie. I'm 19 and live in New Zealand. I've been interested in preparedness for a few years but have only just started really getting into it. I live with 4 flatmates but am only responsible for myself and my 2 pet fish. I love this site and love reading everyones posts. Nice to meet ya'll.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #155 on: October 09, 2009, 07:06:26 PM »
Welcome KatieH...

How great is it that you are starting out with this attitude so early on! Welcome and please join in. Would love to hear your perspectives on things and how prepping works for you there.

Offline KatieH

• Prepper
« Reply #156 on: October 11, 2009, 09:10:09 PM »
Welcome KatieH...

How great is it that you are starting out with this attitude so early on! Welcome and please join in. Would love to hear your perspectives on things and how prepping works for you there.

Thanks! I look forward to getting more involved.

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #157 on: October 11, 2009, 09:15:08 PM »
Hello KatieH, Welcome!

Offline HelenWheels

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hooah!
« Reply #158 on: October 11, 2009, 10:05:11 PM »
We're glad to have you aboard, KatieH!

Offline Ann

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #159 on: October 12, 2009, 12:18:34 PM »
I should probably finally actually INTRODUCE myself.  I've only been lurking for a little while (3 mos?).

Hi everybody!  My name is Ann.  I'm 45.  Hubby is 39.  We live SW of Dallas.  My intuition kicked in, then kicked into overdrive when a friend recommended I read "Lucifer's Hammer".  Wow, THAT was an eye opener.

Started on the prepping process.  We have a small store of food and water.  We have rain barrels and have started gardening.  So far, the bug out preps consist of me keeping water and a good pair of walking shoes in the car, but it's coming along.

I need to have a massive clean out of "crap" in my house in order to have room for more prepping.

Husband took me out to shoot and site the scope on his 22...he's now scared of me.  Seems I picked up on shooting a rifle really well...whooda thunk it?

My biggest concern is that in any type of situation that we need to prep for, I want to be an asset, NOT a liability. 

Ann

Evie

« Reply #160 on: October 12, 2009, 02:52:37 PM »
Ann it takes time to become prepared but you are on the right track.   Becoming versed in the ins and outs of survival puts you ahead of some people.
Read everything you can get your hands on, ask questions, and research on the web.   Glad to make your aquaintance.  I don't post a lot but read a whole bunch.
Hugs, Evie

Goatdog62

« Reply #161 on: October 12, 2009, 06:38:29 PM »
Ann it takes time to become prepared but you are on the right track.   Becoming versed in the ins and outs of survival puts you ahead of some people.
Read everything you can get your hands on, ask questions, and research on the web.   Glad to make your aquaintance.  I don't post a lot but read a whole bunch.
Hugs, Evie

Wow, I'd say. You registered in April and have 8 posts. You learn more from reading than talking, so that makes you pretty smart. Which makes me pretty dumb, but I'm used to it. ;D

Welcome to all of you!

Jennie_in_Iowa

« Reply #162 on: October 20, 2009, 09:55:00 AM »
Hi,
My name is Jennie, I currently live in Iowa.  ;D
I've been a prepper for a few years now.  I dont know everything yet, but I'm certainly working on it. ::)  I'm definitely the primary prepper in my family, my hubby mostly thinks I'm crazy, but so far everything I've done works equally well for blizzards/floods/tornado type emergencies and he's rational enough to know that such things are important to plan for. I'll have a tougher battle when it comes to serious food storage, precious metals and serious weapons. That's ok, we're a good balance, right? :)

I grow a LOT of my family's food, in a big town while living in rental apartments.  Yay for community garden plots and containers on my back porch! I've even got baby food from garden veggies in the freezer, waiting on my 7month old to get interested in solids. And canned veggies for winter for hubby and I.

I'm an unemployed computer engineer, I've been using my free time to get serious about my herbalism studies and my sewing skills. (and helping my BFF build an insulated concrete bermed house)

When I'm not doing any of the above, I like to hunt a bit, I like to bike ride, and I LOVE salsa dancing.

I look forward to chatting on the boards.
I'm on diapperswappers.com and idigmygardens.com with the same handle as here.

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #163 on: October 20, 2009, 01:26:42 PM »
Welcome Jennie and all our other new ladies!

lebla158

« Reply #164 on: November 12, 2009, 12:49:34 PM »
Hello everyone! I'm Alyssa.

I live in LA with my fiance who most of you have probably heard from on here. (Louisiana Survivor or how ever he spells it lol)

I'm a junior at Nicholls State and Majoring in Mass Communications hoping to get at least a minor in Criminal Justice. And i work at the wonderful post office where i play on the computer most of my time...I love campus employment

And not sure about the whole survivalest thing but i have a feeling its because Damian takes it to a whole new level so i guess ill learn about it my self lol

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #165 on: November 12, 2009, 01:12:09 PM »
welcome Alyssa... glad to have you here.

...And not sure about the whole survivalest thing but i have a feeling its because Damian takes it to a whole new level so i guess ill learn about it my self lol

It's all part of his charm :)

lebla158

« Reply #166 on: November 12, 2009, 01:14:48 PM »
At time and at others its kind of scary lol

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #167 on: November 12, 2009, 01:21:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Alyssa!  Survivalism isn't as tin-foil-hat as you might think.  I'm a pre-veterinary medicine student.  We have professors here on the forum, rocket scientists (really!), medical professionals, soldiers, contractors, stay-at-home moms (and dads), chemistry nerds, physics nerds, political nerds, knitters, gardeners, and a smattering of college students (some here in the states, some overseas).

And we don't all believe that the world is coming to an end.  But what happens if it does?  Or - more likely - what happens if Damien loses his job?  Or the state cuts funding for your college, and you lose your job?  Or both?  Damien's just trying to make sure that his family (you) is/are taken care of.  And at the same time, he's making sure that y'all aren't dependent on the government.  From what I understand, he's been dependent on the government before.  He knows what it's like, and doesn't ever want to be there again.  And I don't blame him.

Plus, it's fun to have no bills, and be totally self-sufficient.  Or so I hear.  ;D

lebla158

« Reply #168 on: November 12, 2009, 01:38:26 PM »
Thanks for the intro and trust me i know not everyone acts like the tin-foil-hat people but i live with one of the ones that do at times. I totally get saving money in case something like that happens trust me im very cheap when it comes to my money.

I didn't know he was ever dependent on the government yall know more about him than i do lmao. But no i agree we see the people that live by use and how all they do it live off of the government and sit around and do nothign and i never want to have to be like that.

Trust me im not as bubble headed as he makes me sound.

BTW i love the cook book idea its really neat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #169 on: November 12, 2009, 01:46:53 PM »
Oh he doesn't make you out like a bubble head at ALL!  All he ever says about you is how much he adores you.  :)

He said something to the effect of having used some kind of welfare at one point after a hurricane several years ago (or heck, maybe it was recently, I dunno).

As far as Lou being tin-foil-hat.... ::)  Just tell him to knock that crap off.  There's enough to worry about without getting all conspiratorial.  :D

lebla158

« Reply #170 on: November 12, 2009, 01:51:12 PM »
O he got food stamps after the hurricane like 2 years ago i think to replace the food. Now i know what your talking about lol.

And that the biggest reason I just ignore all the survival stuff when he talks about it because everything he talks about is like o btw the world could end tom and get taken over so we need to be ready...i was like omg are you serious.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #171 on: November 12, 2009, 01:54:57 PM »
Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.  The world ain't ending tomorrow.  But prepping is still important.  :)

lebla158

« Reply #172 on: November 12, 2009, 02:01:32 PM »
lol yea but yea i get that preparing is good and i've even caught on on some thing like the food storage dude talk about awesome not having to go to the store every time i want to cook something

So that cook book that ya'll had a treat about is it just going to be on the forum or are ya'll going to be selling one?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #173 on: November 12, 2009, 05:18:42 PM »
lol yea but yea i get that preparing is good and i've even caught on on some thing like the food storage dude talk about awesome not having to go to the store every time i want to cook something

So that cook book that ya'll had a treat about is it just going to be on the forum or are ya'll going to be selling one?

We'll be selling it!  If we ever get around to making it.  I think you've just inspired me to work on it this weekend.  I'll have to cook some stuff up.  :)

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #174 on: December 13, 2009, 05:26:34 PM »
Hi everybody,

I've posted a few times, but I've never introduced myself.  I have been interested in prepping for decades (I'm fifty-something), and I have gotten more organized and more serious in the last year or so.  My husband is supportive, and he thinks clearly.  At times I seem to plateau with my preparations; this is one of those times.  I live in a beautiful region of rural NY state.  Too bad we have more winter than summer!  :-\  I admire many of the posters on this forum; they are knowledgeable and sincere. 

Offline livingmydream

• Prepper
« Reply #175 on: December 16, 2009, 11:02:14 AM »
Hello everyone! My name is Sarah and we live in Jacksvonille, FL. My husband has been a "prepper" for about 6 years now. We moved here from Arizona the week Hurricane Katrina hit. After seeing all the footage on the news during the aftermath of the disaster it really opened my eyes to all the things my husband has been telling me for years! Craziness!

Since then I have gotten more into the natural,organics, healthy living lifestyle and learning about alternative/holistic medicine on my own. With that I guess already comes a different mindset from the mainstream! My husband was excited when I started researching on my own. Then I slowly started stockpiling vitamins, supplements, ingredients to make my own cleaners etc... I am very frugal, grocery gamer/stockpiling while finding good deals! I have been making all my own household cleaners for years and love to cook from scratch!
 I am very passionate about being a homemaker, natural childbirth (have attended a few births already :) ), homebirthing, cloth diapering, breastfeeding, gardening etc...  We have had a garden for about 4 years now and plan to get it out of the ground and do sf gardening this spring! We have 3 children, 10, 4 and 2 and we also homeschool and hope to have our own homestead one day! I am excited to meet more likeminded moms/women here that can encourage me in this area of growth! Love listening to the podcasts with my hubby after the kids are in bed! Thanks so much, looking forward to learning more and more!

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #176 on: December 16, 2009, 11:50:20 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Glad you stopped in here.

Prepper Arwen

« Reply #177 on: January 24, 2010, 08:50:32 AM »
This is copied from my intro threat on The Front Porch

Hi everyone.  Prepper Arwen in Central Oregon (aka rainshadow of the Cascades) here.  Am a middle aged, married gal with 17 year old twin boys (one just became an Eagle Scout and the other still waiting to do a project before becoming an Eagle Scout).  Husband somewhat on board, but concerned about finances and keeps saying, "Gotta live for today and pay the bills" when asked to put a prepping buying program into place.  Ergo, this educated but not working lady is currently job searching.  Family has entirely too much debt, so that is #1 goal=to get out of debt.  Both adults committed to this.  (Bye Bye my credit card "friends"...)

Felt my higher power nudge me a couple of years ago into starting to prepare for coming "end times," which has since been confirmed in several ways.  Most of my preps to date consist of buying and reading numerous books (Wilderness Survival Handbook, US Armed Forces Survival Guide, The Forager's Harvest, Complete Wilderness Training, What to Do When All Hell Breaks Loose, 98.6, The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive).  As result, have purchased and continued to build a 72-hr BOB for each member of family.  However, do not have anywhere to bug out TO.  Have also started a food and water storage program.

Last summer I bought two gardening books (All New Square Foot Gardening and Gardening Basics For Dummies), built two 4 X 8 raised garden beds, and planted my first garden.  Spent way too much money for too small of a return.  Have a very short growing season here on the edge of the high desert (at about 3000 ft above sea level and get about 10 inches of rain annually).  Have a 1/4 acre lot in rural community with city water.  Would love to see Jack do an entire podcast on how to build our own green house for cheap.

Don't have any experience with or own any guns.  A little intimidated with the amount of experience family needs to get, not to mention monies required to get prepared in this category.  Hubby and I took a concealed carry class last spring and boys and I took a hunter safety class also last spring.  Boys have earned the rifle shooting merit badge in scouts. Only indoor shooting range is two cities north of here (45 miles), but we do have an outdoor shooting range outside of town.  Don't know how to go about getting tactical training at these facilities.  Hubby resistant to purchasing guns, thinks bow and arrow will work for hunting.  Both of us scared and intimdated here, but also see need to be preparped. 

Found Jack's podcast about 3 weeks ago.  Love it!  Working on archives and well as current podcasts.  Would love to participate in a meet and greet of Pacific Northwest or Oregon preppers.  Would love to know who else in Oregon is on the forum.  That's enough for now.  Thanks for all the support in advance.

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #178 on: January 24, 2010, 04:18:52 PM »
Welcome, Prepper Arwen,  We are so glad you have joined us.  Please don't get overwhelmed.  Rome wasn't built in a day, hehe  Just know there are no silly questions you may ask here.  Don't be afraid, jump right in! ;D

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #179 on: January 24, 2010, 04:39:18 PM »
Glad to have you here, Arwen, It sounds like you have your priorities well in line... attacking debt first and taking the preps slowly. As for your garden, it sounds like rain collection may be a really good place for you to look to help your garden this year and save the cost of paying for city water... and you'll probably have even more and better results this year after the experience. It takes time to build the soil and also to learn what plants do well in your area. Composting would be another low-cost/high yield thing you can do right away to help with the garden, too.

Good luck to you and welcome aboard!