Energy Options > Wind Power

small scale wind solutions

<< < (5/6) > >>

Noriat:
Hi,

I live in the north and I was wondering if the batteries need to be kept from freezing? I was thinking of starting off by taking my un-heated barn off the grid. Do I need to rig something to keep them warm? I could box em with a 40 watt bulb, but of course this will use some of my generated power.

Thanks,

cmxterra:
My tower will extend to about 45ft.

The base is a big ass block of concrete with rebar.  3'x3'x4' (dug by hand = sucks)
The tower itself is a round telescopic unit that was originally designed for use in Ham radio so it can support a good amount of wind load.

UStower made this one I believe.

Kara:
CMXterra, how do you get your tower to extend? Does it have a hand crank, or is it motorized?

DDrew:

--- Quote from: cmxterra on May 06, 2009, 09:20:23 PM ---My tower will extend to about 45ft.

The base is a big ass block of concrete with rebar.  3'x3'x4' (dug by hand = sucks)
The tower itself is a round telescopic unit that was originally designed for use in Ham radio so it can support a good amount of wind load.

UStower made this one I believe.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the info, CMXTerra +1.  I got a 50' triangular shaped tower that was used for a Ham Radio Antenna. I bought an AirX Wind Turbine (http://www2.northerntool.com/alternative-renewable-energy/wind-turbines/item-339981.htm) I'm trying to figure out the best way to anchor it.  I am still researching the foundation calculations, and was curious if anyone was familiar with this process.  If you are a PE and have the ability to design and provide stamped design docs, I'd be willing to pay for the work.

ken:
My experience is similar to that above, I did better with solar than wind.  Note... it is totally dependent on your local conditions. 

I used one of the Air wind generators (as in the photo above) to monitor the available wind power at my remote site, set it up, and let it play for a while.  The amount of wind power available can be deceptive unless you have a way to monitor it at the height of your tower.  It was an interesting project, I frequently noticed I was generating power when it seemed almost calm at ground level, and sometimes the turbine was standing still when I could feel a breeze at ground level.  I wound up selling the wind generator to a neighbor that had a remote camp on a nearby mountain top.  About a year later, all the wind generators blades were destroyed when the wind gust went over 110 MPH.  I wound up going with solar panels and battery bank, as my wind power resource was not sufficient to support my needs.

My recommendations, and observations...

1. Have someone that is knowledgeable look at your site and advise you on location and obstructions that could be problematic.  You will need a large area cleared of obstructions (trees etc).  You may not want to cut down those large trees.

2.Consider making your tower as tall as possible, taller is better almost always.

3. Have a realistic idea about your wind power (resource) the production capability.  It is too easy to look at the wind generators peak ratings and start counting those proverbial chickens before they hatch. 

4. Remember sometimes the wind does not blow, and lightning can and will strike, take adequate precautions, (grounding and bonding) and consider purchasing an extended warranty on expensive system components like your inverter.  After a lightning strike ate my 2000 dollar inverter it made the extended warranty cost look cheap.

5. If your site has plenty of wind power available, but the wind tends to gust, and shift direction, consider several smaller wind generators, as the smaller units are more agile.  Smaller units will pivot and begin producing power faster than a single large unit in those shifting wind conditions.  In some extreme conditions a number of smaller "Air" type generators may produce more power than a single large unit, due the time and wind power required to bring the large unit into the wind.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version