Author Topic: Instant Pot: is it for preppers?  (Read 14210 times)

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
Re: Instant Pot: is it for preppers?
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2018, 11:52:28 PM »
<sigh>

I'm probably the only one that thought someone was discussing freeze-dried cannabis.

My next thought was. . .well, Mountain House IS in Oregon.

The Professor

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2018, 11:02:51 PM »
Good one, prof.

Offline minijas

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2018, 03:44:29 PM »
Huge fan of the instant pot. We got one to replace the broken insert on our ceramic slow cooker and have never looked back. We have already used it for slow cooking, steaming and making rice

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2018, 04:58:37 AM »
I have an off brand one & really like it for making eggs, quick soups & stews, cooking beans when I’ve forgotten to soak them etc.

I can see it being a good prepping tool for a situation where power is available.  But I also seenias important because it gives folks experience & a recipe base for pressure cooking in general.  Now if you pick up a small stovetop pressure cooker you have something that in s grid down situation can cook quickly with less fuel (because it cooks faster) on a propane camp stove, rocket stove or probably even a well built campfire (although there would be practice for heat regulation.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2019, 09:37:21 AM »
I just heard the I-Pot lady on a radio show describe how she makes brown rice. Puts it in a bowl inside the pot 1 to 1 water to rice for 20 minutes and quick release.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2019, 10:35:09 AM »
Love my Instant Pot... used it for Corned beef... really delicious and tender after only 90 minutes on high pressure.

I also am loving using up my dried beans with a quick pressure cook... great for chili or bean soup.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2019, 08:10:28 AM »
<sigh>

I'm probably the only one that thought someone was discussing freeze-dried cannabis.
The Professor
That explains the high number of views relative to the posts.

I make a batch of pickled eggs every so often, steamed in the instant pot, they peel easier than the hard-boiled method. Just did a bone broth with the Christmas hambone. The reason why we prefer the Instant Pot@ over other brands is that it has a stainless steel pot. Banking soda works well to clean it. The best thing about them is that it doesn't have a rattler like a pressure cooker has.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2019, 02:31:49 PM »
I guess it was past time to try out my black Friday sale purchase on my new Instant Pot Ultra 6 quart machine.  Price wise it was 65 dollars, about 50% off the normal sale price.

My old hardware was a QVC 8.x quart beast.  It never met a soup it did not try to burn.  Don't get me wrong, nothing beats pressure cooking dried beans, split pea, chicken soup at high alt.   The pot was non-stick and did heat up quite fast.

I decided to down grade from 8 quarts QVC special to save a bit of counter space.   

I opened the Instant Pot box today, ran through the simple test of steaming water for 2 mins.  It provides a good check to make sure the hardware is working, and also cleans the machine.   More than a few people indicated that this step was well worth doing...

I started up my first pot of white beans (non-soaked) and after the machine was into the cooking cycle for 4 mins I found a reference to a setting to let you tell the hardware what altitude you are at.  Futzing with the machine for a bit I figured out the settings and restarted the cooking.

Old cooking time was 30 mins at sea level, knew cooking time was 37 mins.
I ran a batch of beans through the machine and after letting it cool off for about 40 mins I found the beans were still too crunchy.  So the default settings for high alt for me did not fully cook the beans.

I re-started the machine for a full second run and the beans were a bit over cooked. I figure it will take me a few more batches before I find the right cooking time.   My next try will be 60 min cook time, 40 min cool off cycle.

Hardware: 6 quart Instant Pot Ultra

pro:
Adjustments for altitude
timer for cooking
keep warm function
Lots of after market parts.

Con:
   Cost (when not on sale), I bought my hardware on a Amazon Black Friday at 65 dollars.  Normal price $120 for the Instant Pot 6 quart ultra. 

Most Instant Pot hardware can not be used for canning.  I have heard about the new Max line but I have not seen in in stock when I made this purchase.  I think the Max will be replacing the ultra line.   Just a guess on my part.  I did see the Max hardware on Amazon, and the Ultra 6 quart not in stock...

The instruction manual seem to leave off a few steps.  Once you get use to the basic settings it will be easy to tweak when necessary the cooking time.

Changing the default beep on / off, etc. were not intuitive.

To answer the question, is a Instant Pot useful for prepping?  Yep, pressure cooking beans and other items will let you use your long term stored items without too much fuss.

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chicken-farming knuckle-dragger
    • Marksmanship, History, Civic Engagement
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2019, 06:46:47 AM »
I’ve been planning to pull the trigger on one of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VTL8STO/?coliid=I1SM5N3997K2Z&colid=3KZ2F7BQTRJ1W&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
    Do you think it would preform similarly in cooking mode?

You won't regret it.  We've had the Carey cooker/canner for a few years now, and it's a great machine.  If ours dies, it will be replaced quickly.  Nice to be able to cook in it, as well as do small batch-canning (pints and quarts) for left overs when it's not worth breaking out the All-American.