Author Topic: Oats, Wheat, sampler?  (Read 3085 times)

Offline clarkw

• Prepper
Oats, Wheat, sampler?
« on: May 04, 2009, 06:32:18 AM »
Howdy,

Well, we have a mill ordered, now we need to get something to grind.  Does anyone sell "sampler" size containers of the various grains suitable for cooking?  We would like to purchase a variety of different grains, grind them and bake with the results.  Doing this will allow us to evaluate what suits our taste best.  Once we have an idea of what the different grains taste like, we can order larger quantities, both for storage and use.

Does anyone know of source for grains in Lake County Illinois?  If we could find a place to purchase some grain locally, we can start there.

Thanks for your patience with a pair of newbies to all of this.

ClarkW

ldjo225

Re: Oats, Wheat, sampler?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 10:29:39 AM »
I don't know anything in your area but I've ordered from the LDS twice now & am happy with their products & the fast shipping. Try the starter kit from them. It has rice, beans, wheat & oats in it.
http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10151&categoryId=10002&langId=-1&cg1=14087&cg2=&cg3=&cg4=&cg5=

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 01:02:53 PM »
do you have a health food store?  the Wild Oats (or Whole Foods or whatever they are calling themselves these days) in my area has bulk grains that you can buy "samples" however much you want from the bins.  I have found this helpful for trying new grains, etc.  Only, word of advice, write down the grain as well as their SKU#, or you get home and wonder what grains are which!!!!!  :-[

Offline Kellib

• Survivor
    • homestead101
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 07:09:05 PM »
we are from Florida and get our grain from New Leaf Market, Just ordered oat groats and blk beans in bulk. New leaf is a co-op. I would suggest you find one in your area even if it is an hour or so away.