Author Topic: throwing out food  (Read 5038 times)

Offline lonestar

• Survivor
throwing out food
« on: March 27, 2009, 11:54:46 AM »
Was at the grocery store this morning, saw a stocker going over food items on the shelf.  He was filling up a cart full of pudding and jello.  All the boxes had expired within the past week or less.   I asked him what he was going to do with it.  THrow it in the trash.  Not in a dumpster but in the compactor.   WHAT a shame! 

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: throwing out food
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
They should give that food to a homeless shelter or SOMETHING !! But, the way things are anymore, the homeless would then probably turn around and sue the shelter for giving them out of date food.

Offline SteveInTx

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 01:12:38 PM »
Can you imagine the mess that is going to make in the compactor?

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 11:26:47 PM »
In such a case I would ask if the stocker would be willing to toss it all into a bag and take it outside for me to scoop up when I am done spending money in their store. If they seem unsure I would probably swing by the management office when they are not obviously swamped and politely ask if they would be willing to discard such goods into the trunk of my car. They still have to pay for someone to haul it away so provided you approach them right and they are not unreasonable they will usually OK it.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 07:06:06 AM »
our foodbank will not take "expired" food.  which I think is just silly - it is still good - I would eat it, if I was still eating canned and processed foods!

MightyRunt

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 07:33:39 AM »
The 3 grocery stores in our little town all donate their cosmetically imperfect and day-old bread, baked goods, produce and dairy to our local food bank.  We also get some expired nonperishable foods, but not much.  When we do get expired stuff, we put it on a shelf in the pickup area, clearly marked as expired, and let people take it if they want. Most people are thrilled to get it. Only thing we wont take/give out expired is baby food.  We have a big Bargain/Salvage Mart in Colorado Springs and I wonder if they get/buy any of the expired stuff.
    Recently my best friend and I were at Olive Garden in Colorado Springs for lunch and I asked what they did with their leftover food like the giant bowls of salad that only get half eaten. The local soup kitchen comes every day and collects it, so at least that doesn't go to waste. Tiny drop in very large bucket.

Offline theaccidentalsurvivor

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 08:59:55 AM »
expired nonperishable foods

Recently my best friend and I were at Olive Garden in Colorado Springs for lunch and I asked what they did with their leftover food like the giant bowls of salad that only get half eaten. The local soup kitchen comes every day and collects it, so at least that doesn't go to waste. Tiny drop in very large bucket.

Isn't that an oxymoron?

I wonder how many times two half salads have become MY whole salad?

Offline Wolf

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 09:54:07 AM »
I work in a grocery store myself, and I can tell you that management is terrified of lawsuits; don't donate expired foods, don't let a single grape sit on the floor (someone might slip), etc. I had to pester them for a week to get a box of plastic bags they were going to get rid of (the local shelter uses them for bag lunches). It's crazy how wasteful they are. If someone steals 1 can of pop from a case, the rest of the case is thrown out! You'd think that the lure of profit would curb some of it, but no.

Offline lonestar

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 07:54:35 PM »
I am amazed at how much I see them throw out weekly.  One good thing is that one of the stores does put a shopping cart out in the aisle with beer for 50 cents each (loose bottles and cans).