Author Topic: Hobo Grill idea's wanted...  (Read 5276 times)

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
Hobo Grill idea's wanted...
« on: March 03, 2009, 11:04:39 AM »
OK, I did search through the rest of the posts, and tried the search function, but THERE ARE 21 PAGES! 

I am looking for a simple design along the lines of the old "Hobo" can grill.  Something that you could cook a burger on, or a hotdog, make a pot of coffee with, do a small skillet of eggs on, etc.  Sort of a survival grill for one.  I have seen the "Rocket Grill" video, but that thing really throws a lot of flame out the top.  I was thinking of 1-4 charcoal briquettes being used as the fuel source.  Not a lot of smoke, should be plenty of heat output for a 30 minute cook session.  Foraged small twigs could be used in a pinch.  Ideas?  Links??  Comments???

Tim.

millerized1

Re: Hobo Grill idea's wanted...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 12:53:03 PM »
Coffee/#10can, 1/4 of a side cut out for adding fuel, hole-punch type can opener along the top edge for air/vent
Something like this: http://survivalpreps.blogspot.com/2007/11/hobo-stove-part-i.html

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 02:01:45 PM »
Coffee/#10can, 1/4 of a side cut out for adding fuel, hole-punch type can opener along the top edge for air/vent
Something like this: http://survivalpreps.blogspot.com/2007/11/hobo-stove-part-i.html

Thanks King Neg!  Something like that is what I am after.  I'm trying to redo my motorcycle camp kit and was looking for a portable grill for one.  We do cross country treks during the summer months (and then build/rebuild a new bike over winter).  And I'm talking Harley's, not Beemers with panniers and American Tourister suitcases.  Everything is "lash on", with the only thing being "mounted" is my feet on the pegs and my butt in the seat.  We like to travel light and fast hitting the bike shows and whatever trouble we can nose up.  Since some of us actually work for a living, we usually save up vacation/sick time etc. and take a lot of 3/4 day weekends for the road trips over the good riding months.  We take turns planning the rides, so one week it might be something I planned like a ride to Tinker AFB, OKC, OK and back, but the next week it might be a trip to Chicago or Denver and I'm just along for the ride.  I use a Hennesy Hammock for sleeping, it works out well with my reflux issues so I can sleep with my head higher than my stomach.  When we do our swamp runs, we usually "obtain"  floating conveyances and then head out into the swamp to make camp.  One of the guys that usually makes fun of my hammock tent (remember the VN Jungle Hammocks???) referred to me a an "Alagator Burito" the first night I used it in the swamp.  Been parking my jon boat under me and my hammock ever since.

We usually have our stops preplanned so we know where we gotta make that last stop for something to cook for dinner, and I could easily pick up a pound of hamburger, a steak, a chop if I had the ability to grill it.  And then I can throw a skillet on top of the grill in the morning for breakfast fixin's.  I was thinking of the large coffee can idea, but with a "W" shaped rack in the bottom for charcoal briquettes to sit on endwise.  Use a pocket torch to light the lower edge, then slide it into the side of the can and right on the "W" rack.  Should be able to hold four briquettes easily and I think that would generate plenty of heat once it got going.  Open top can with a grill topper would be all chimney so I think it would burn OK with the two openings cut into the side of the can to slide the briquettes into.  If needed I could can-open some more vents along the bottom edge for additional air.

Tim.

millerized1

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 04:12:47 PM »
There's so many designs, even collapsible ones, I just cut and pasted. I'd seen a 2 part (one part slides into the other for storage, but over to cook) but damned if I can find it again.

Motorcycle cooking....ya don't say ;)

I use a 6" folding teflon pan and a MSR Whisperlite.  Whole thing weighs about 2lbs with the tank and fits in the pan.  Since it uses gas or coleman fuel, I never miss a meal.  But, I rarely miss hitting a Mom & Pop choke & puke when I'm riding, so cooking usually is just breakfast IF I remember to buy an egg or 2 the night before.  Dinner is usually taken about 4PM, with another 3-4hrs before I toss up the tent and crash. Then up with the roosters and on the road.

With the KLR650, I had bags tied with all my stuff and spent 24 days and 8200mi living off the bike.  Only 1 night in a hotel (Moab, UT...116F during the day) followed 2 days later by a high of 26F at Crater Lake OR. Usually back a dirt road at dusk, and out at dawn....damn that was a fun trip! I miss that bike.

I pilot a Concours now, and the hardbags and tail trunk have spoiled me rotten. Being able to wear a different pair of underwear every day for 2 weeks kinda spoils a guy (instead of spoiling yer crotch).  If I want really spoiled, I'll just hook up the trailer and take the big tent, 2 burner stove, 2 cots, 4 bags, 2 pillows, mini-fridge......all the comforts of home. Off course, that's if the missus tags along.

I really miss that KLR650. ;)

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 08:31:42 PM »
There's so many designs, even collapsible ones, I just cut and pasted. I'd seen a 2 part (one part slides into the other for storage, but over to cook) but damned if I can find it again.

Motorcycle cooking....ya don't say ;)

I use a 6" folding teflon pan and a MSR Whisperlite.  Whole thing weighs about 2lbs with the tank and fits in the pan.  Since it uses gas or coleman fuel, I never miss a meal.  But, I rarely miss hitting a Mom & Pop choke & puke when I'm riding, so cooking usually is just breakfast IF I remember to buy an egg or 2 the night before.  Dinner is usually taken about 4PM, with another 3-4hrs before I toss up the tent and crash. Then up with the roosters and on the road.

With the KLR650, I had bags tied with all my stuff and spent 24 days and 8200mi living off the bike.  Only 1 night in a hotel (Moab, UT...116F during the day) followed 2 days later by a high of 26F at Crater Lake OR. Usually back a dirt road at dusk, and out at dawn....damn that was a fun trip! I miss that bike.

I pilot a Concours now, and the hardbags and tail trunk have spoiled me rotten. Being able to wear a different pair of underwear every day for 2 weeks kinda spoils a guy (instead of spoiling yer crotch).  If I want really spoiled, I'll just hook up the trailer and take the big tent, 2 burner stove, 2 cots, 4 bags, 2 pillows, mini-fridge......all the comforts of home. Off course, that's if the missus tags along.

I really miss that KLR650. ;)

Certain bikes have a way with tugging at your heartstrings.  My '73 Sportster was that way (tear runs down cheek...).  I also had a 1975 Honda 750  that I grew quite fond of, and I recently picked up a 1974 Honda 550-4 to do a retro chop upon, affectionately named "Project RoadPig".  We ride in a group of 10 to 50, mostly Harleys, but a few "projects" thrown in for a good measure.  For small groups, we love to find where they have "cut-through" a small hill on the freeway that has the terraced hills and concrete rain gutters.  Man you wait till the traffic clears, send a rider up the rain gully to an upper level and then he can do traffic lookout for the whole group and one by one we "disappear" to one of the upper levels of the terracing.  As long as we go "black" after dark, no one ever knows we're there.  Good spots are hard to find on the road, and with States cutting back on roadside maintenance $$$, it both helps and hinders.

I know there are tons of excellent solo camp stoves out there, I just like the fire and smoke, when I can afford the smoke plume signature.

Tim.

Offline Red Dog

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 09:32:36 PM »
The penny stove works great for an alcohol stove and you can't beat the price.

http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/penny.html

This second link is a good place to start for all sorts of DIY camping gear with a load of stove info

http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html

This last one is a cool ultralight DIY gear page.  (I'm dying to try one of the hammocks out.)

http://tothewoods.net/JeffsHikingPage.html