Finance and Economics > Economic News, the Global Economy and all Things Monetary

Holding China's Feet to the Fire

<< < (4/5) > >>

David in MN:
I have a lot of bitterness here and I hope I'm not alone. I've been told for many years now that I am the scourge of society because I  am part of some evil patriarch homophobe sexist racist cabal even though I think none of that applies to me. I'm the poor kid with 1 pair of shoes everybody called a "Polak" growing up and by the way what little family I had in this country fought for the North and my home state of Wisconsin proudly nullified the Fugitive Slave Act.

I'm a little tired that as a society we manage to hold people accountable for things they didn't do. Yet when the Chinese government openly lies to the world and spreads a plague... Nothing. For Christ's sake the feminists have told me for years that mansplaining and manspreading were some form of assault. I've been told that misgendering a person is a crime. How about knowingly spreading a contagion?

I ill never understand why we are so quick to blame the little guy from a small town just trying to get by but vast evil lying communist empires are just fine.

I am gravely concerned for the well-being of the Chinese people. When we come to a collective understanding that their government caused this...

Carver:
My experience has been that when you are right, you are accused of being wrong. When I was younger and more naive I "went with the flow" and life was miserable because the flow flows downhill and so did my life accordingly. When I made a dramatic and abrupt change in my life my friends left me but my life turned around towards the better. So I live with this expectation of being accused of being wrong when I know I am doing what is right. I endeavor to live by the rule of wisdom and not public opinion.

So yesterday we declined to participate in a neighborhood party where they were hugging and splattering all over each other. I am proud of our decision despite the dirty looks we got today as we did not attend. Today at the store people were very careful around us paranoiacs when we were the only ones wearing face masks.

Herd mentality is comforting for the true believers; their doctrine as presented to them by mainstream media is their status quo, their mindset is deaf and blind to situational awareness. We have family and friends in that fold, but we follow our way and let them follow theirs. But we are prepared to deal with conflicts beyond what we have experienced so far. History tells us to.

David in MN:
So what if Chinese trolls spread disinformation in Taiwan in order to infect more people?

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/craigsilverman/chinese-trolls-coronavirus-disinformation-taiwan

Just disgusting.

Chemsoldier:
Just bought a pair of running shoes.  It is difficult to even know where the shoes are from, let alone know they are not from China. 

The biggest manufacturer I know is New Balance, and even their stuff you have to get specific "made in the US" models and they are considerably more expensive. Also, those are shoes the company attests are at least 70% resourced in the US and assembled in the US.  However, they can still have components from overseas and frequently, China.

LvsChant:

--- Quote from: Chemsoldier on April 30, 2020, 01:18:22 PM ---Just bought a pair of running shoes.  It is difficult to even know where the shoes are from, let alone know they are not from China. 

The biggest manufacturer I know is New Balance, and even their stuff you have to get specific "made in the US" models and they are considerably more expensive. Also, those are shoes the company attests are at least 70% resourced in the US and assembled in the US.  However, they can still have components from overseas and frequently, China.

--- End quote ---

Well... even if it is only 70% US-made, it helps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version