Archived Boards (Read-Only) > 13Skills.com

13 Skills -- Your CCW experience

<< < (3/6) > >>

Roknrandy:
I just applied for mine, All I had to have was a safety certificate or dd214 (I'm a vet) notary to stamp all the paper work and turn it in.

When I had everything together I walked into the county clerks office (on a Tuesday after lunch when they aren't busy) she checked the paperwork and my I'd. I paid the $50 and was told it would take 2-4 weeks and walked out 6 minutes later  ;D

Now I wait

d3nni5:
I am now an official card carrying, pistol packin', gun lovin',  hillbilly heathen.   Woo hoo!

After months of back and forth with my girl friend, finally taking the required education, and my sheriff's department managing to stretch a 45 day mandatory turnaround into 73 days...I FINALLY have my CCW!

I told the lady at the sheriff's office, it feels almost as good as when I was 16, getting my driver's license.  A sense of freedom and responsibility I could only imagine until now.

endurance:

--- Quote from: Mountain State Prepper on May 15, 2013, 12:51:48 PM ---I am now an official card carrying, pistol packin', gun lovin',  hillbilly heathen.   Woo hoo!

After months of back and forth with my girl friend, finally taking the required education, and my sheriff's department managing to stretch a 45 day mandatory turnaround into 73 days...I FINALLY have my CCW!

I told the lady at the sheriff's office, it feels almost as good as when I was 16, getting my driver's license.  A sense of freedom and responsibility I could only imagine until now.

--- End quote ---
Congrats!

I suggest a similar pledge that I made to myself:  Take one course per year with a professional instructor.  I'm so grateful I started this back in 2009.  Not only have I developed improved skills, it has kept me and my family safer.  Everyone gets complacent with time, so having an instructor there looking over your shoulder, watching where you place your finger, watching you draw, watching how you reholster your weapon; that's priceless feedback on stuff that's too easy to get lazy on.  Even if it's just a one day NRA basic handgun class, it pays to have a second set of eyes on you every once in a while.

d3nni5:

I just realized that I have been carrying concealed for just over a year!   Man how time flies by.   I'm so glad I did this.  All and all 2013 was a pretty crappy year for me, but this is certainly a shining moment for me :).

hackmeister:
Pennsylvania - super easy. Fill out the form (listing 2 references not related to you), pay $20 and submit to your local county sheriff. Once you're approved they'll mail you a notification to come in and pick it up. They take your picture and issue you the photo ID which is good for 5 years.  My references were never contacted and there is no class to take. They are required to turn it around within 45 days (mine took about 25). And finally self defense is a valid reason to carry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version