Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The HAM Radio Board

W00T! New HAM Added To The Ranks!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Hamilton:
Okay....I am going to try and join the ranks in a week or two. My Grandfather has been teaching com for 67 years, taught special forces for some time since WWII, and set up/maintained the equip. in our local San Diego count mts. for many years. He convinced me to be a part of a great family. I'll let you know how it goes.

DeltaEchoVictor:

--- Quote from: Hamilton on April 07, 2009, 10:38:01 PM ---Okay....I am going to try and join the ranks in a week or two. My Grandfather has been teaching com for 67 years, taught special forces for some time since WWII, and set up/maintained the equip. in our local San Diego count mts. for many years. He convinced me to be a part of a great family. I'll let you know how it goes.

--- End quote ---
It shouldn't be a problem Hamilton.  Especially since you have an Elmer (old HAM hand) like your Granddad backing you up.

Best of luck & let us know! 

jaat13:
Congrats to your wife DEV ! I've been studying off and on as well for the GEN. for about 6 months. As of late I've been reading more often. Lol.Now if I could convince my wife to get on board with the ham idea!
Hamilton go for it!

ken:
Congratulations to all the new hams. 

To those that have been sitting back and waiting, here is my little sermon to you,...

Do yourself a favor and start the process, you will never regret it. 

Remember, no code test any more, and these are multiple choice questions, with all the questions and the answers free to download and study, and all you have to do is memorize to make a passing grade, then you are in for life, how difficult can that be. 

To be prepared you have to be able to communicate, and ham radio will open the door to world wide communication, that simple. 

When disasters completely destroy the local infrastructure, its ham radio operators that can get through. 

If you remember back to when Dade county Florida was hit by a hurricane and Homestead AFB was destroyed.  The National Guard assisted with the recovery, however, they could not even communicate between units because both had different model encrypted radios.  Ham radio operators had to provide communication to the various army reserve units, something to think about.

Ham radio operators were able to provide communication in the immediate aftermath of the 9-11 attack, when all other communications were down. 

I think any real survivalist will need to also be a ham radio operator, my opinion.

ebonearth:
Congratulations to the wife DEV! I'm still finishing the class, although between my studying at home, the online resources, and the HAM Radio Podclass I feel like my time would be better spent elsewhere (it's a 2hr drive for a 3hr class) but I committed to it and there's only a couple more classes to go. I ordered the General book so I can sit for both exams back to back, provided I don't tank the exams of course. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version