Author Topic: W00T! New HAM Added To The Ranks!  (Read 7540 times)

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
W00T! New HAM Added To The Ranks!
« on: March 07, 2009, 08:48:52 PM »
My wife passed her Technician exam this evening.

First words out of her mouth "Now you owe me a radio for my car".

Now the long (relatively) wait for her callsign begins....

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
Re: W00T! New HAM Added To The Ranks!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 09:03:07 PM »
Congrats to Mrs. DEV!!   ;D

Offline KC9AIC

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 10:32:05 PM »
That's really exciting. I'm always thrilled when new people are added to our hobby.

Get her a good radio! :)

Offline Zombie Axe

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 12:55:43 PM »
Congrats!!!

You are lucky... I had to get my wife an HT as well as mobile  ;D

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 01:16:02 PM »
Congrats!!!

You are lucky... I had to get my wife an HT as well as mobile  ;D
LOL...She mentioned something this morning about using my older HT until she gets her mobile for her car.  I imagine a couple of newer HT's will be worked in to the budget at some point. ;)

She's already started studying for her General ticket...I've been studying off and on for a year for mine.  Guess I'm going to have to really get on the ball now. ::) ;D

Offline Hamilton

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 10:38:01 PM »
Okay....I am going to try and join the ranks in a week or two. My Grandfather has been teaching com for 67 years, taught special forces for some time since WWII, and set up/maintained the equip. in our local San Diego count mts. for many years. He convinced me to be a part of a great family. I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 11:55:47 PM »
Okay....I am going to try and join the ranks in a week or two. My Grandfather has been teaching com for 67 years, taught special forces for some time since WWII, and set up/maintained the equip. in our local San Diego count mts. for many years. He convinced me to be a part of a great family. I'll let you know how it goes.
It shouldn't be a problem Hamilton.  Especially since you have an Elmer (old HAM hand) like your Granddad backing you up.

Best of luck & let us know! 

jaat13

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 06:00:49 PM »
Congrats to your wife DEV ! I've been studying off and on as well for the GEN. for about 6 months. As of late I've been reading more often. Lol.Now if I could convince my wife to get on board with the ham idea!
Hamilton go for it!

ken

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 06:44:44 PM »
Congratulations to all the new hams. 

To those that have been sitting back and waiting, here is my little sermon to you,...

Do yourself a favor and start the process, you will never regret it. 

Remember, no code test any more, and these are multiple choice questions, with all the questions and the answers free to download and study, and all you have to do is memorize to make a passing grade, then you are in for life, how difficult can that be. 

To be prepared you have to be able to communicate, and ham radio will open the door to world wide communication, that simple. 

When disasters completely destroy the local infrastructure, its ham radio operators that can get through. 

If you remember back to when Dade county Florida was hit by a hurricane and Homestead AFB was destroyed.  The National Guard assisted with the recovery, however, they could not even communicate between units because both had different model encrypted radios.  Ham radio operators had to provide communication to the various army reserve units, something to think about.

Ham radio operators were able to provide communication in the immediate aftermath of the 9-11 attack, when all other communications were down. 

I think any real survivalist will need to also be a ham radio operator, my opinion.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 09:36:40 PM »
Congratulations to the wife DEV! I'm still finishing the class, although between my studying at home, the online resources, and the HAM Radio Podclass I feel like my time would be better spent elsewhere (it's a 2hr drive for a 3hr class) but I committed to it and there's only a couple more classes to go. I ordered the General book so I can sit for both exams back to back, provided I don't tank the exams of course. :)

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 10:00:19 PM »
Congratulations to the wife DEV! I'm still finishing the class, although between my studying at home, the online resources, and the HAM Radio Podclass I feel like my time would be better spent elsewhere (it's a 2hr drive for a 3hr class) but I committed to it and there's only a couple more classes to go. I ordered the General book so I can sit for both exams back to back, provided I don't tank the exams of course. :)
Thanks!

You'll do great, I'm confident. 

Have you used the free online exams from QRZ?  They're Here.  I'm also listening to the General class podcast, or one of them anyway. 

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 10:01:55 PM »
Congratulations DEV and Mrs DEV! We have talked about doing this and it is on our list of things to do. The info you and others have posted has been the motivating factor for us.

Offline Hamilton

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 10:35:37 PM »
Hey, check this out. http://vacuumtubebrasil.profusehost.net/Ham%20Shack%20Intercom.pdf.

I just found this. On page 6 is an article about my grandfather. This even inspires me more while I study for the test. I talked to my grandfather just yesterday. He is 90 now and still strong. We are going to work on my sail boat soon and go out and have some fun.

The kid pictured in the middle of the first photo is my dad. He no longer looks like Wally Cleaver. That hair is long gone.

My grandfather is still active each day on the air. I have no idea what band/frequency...he is extra. If you call W6VFT in the early afternoon (pacific time) and happen to catch him, I'm sure he will have some interesting stories to share.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 10:41:39 PM »
Congratulations DEV and Mrs DEV! We have talked about doing this and it is on our list of things to do. The info you and others have posted has been the motivating factor for us.
That's awesome, get 'er done.

Hey, check this out. http://vacuumtubebrasil.profusehost.net/Ham%20Shack%20Intercom.pdf.

I just found this. On page 6 is an article about my grandfather. This even inspires me more while I study for the test. I talked to my grandfather just yesterday. He is 90 now and still strong. We are going to work on my sail boat soon and go out and have some fun.

The kid pictured in the middle of the first photo is my dad. He no longer looks like Wally Cleaver. That hair is long gone.

My grandfather is still active each day on the air. I have no idea what band/frequency...he is extra. If you call W6VFT in the early afternoon (pacific time) and happen to catch him, I'm sure he will have some interesting stories to share.
That article is a cool memento of your Granddad's radio career.