Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Amateur Radio How-To's

The BIG STICK , Half wave , 2 Meter antenna

(1/3) > >>

Carl:
This is an antenna that I have made about 50 of ,for local Hams. It is easy to build ,but really should be double-checked for good SWR with an SWR meter or analyzer as proper tuning can be less than 1/8" of a measurement away. If you read my directions,it is hard to go wrong,the photos show the building of one with a bit of ladder line and some hook-up wire . I suggest Mini 8 coax , but most any coax will do . Test runs show about 16 mile range between two antennas with 2 hand held radios at low power ,about 1 watt each with the antennas about 30 feet up a tree ,hung by rope. Getting your antenna to a high point is the secret to talking distance with VHF radios, or UHF also ...This antenna does work well in the 440-450 mhz range ,though it is best as a 2 meter antenna. I can give cut lengths for other VHF frequencies as MURs ,Marine,Aviation as I have provided this antenna for some local agencies. Enough ,here is the link to the DOC file.    http://www.mediafire.com/file/49i4vvod3lyxivv/The%20BIG%20STICK.doc

http://www.mediafire.com/file/49i4vvod3lyxivv/The%20BIG%20STICK.doc

Not real good at this,Hope one of the methods was right.

Mr. Bill:
A belated thanks for posting that, Carl.  Nice write-up.

[moderator]
Summary of the two snarky posts I just deleted:

* The file is on a free hosting site that has a lot of pop-up ads.
* Recent browsers have pop-up blockers that can be set to avoid most pop-ups.[/moderator]

Carl:
  I finally got around to editing the Big Stick instructions to make it less confusing and easier to deal with,also included measurements for a non-PVC roll-up version for you people who want one for your travel or GO kits.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ZIZLZV4AwIdVdqaTh2cFMyOTg/view?usp=sharing

Alan Georges:
Carl, thanks for posting and then updating this.  I'd built something similar a while back out of 1/2" cpvc and 300ohm twin lead, but it has turned out not to be sufficiently rugged for trail use.  The 1/2" pipe is too floppy and 300ohm is downright fragile.  1" shed 40 & 450ohm are much more robust.  Rainy weekend in store... might get this one knocked out in record time.

Carl:

--- Quote from: Alan Georges on April 28, 2017, 06:29:08 PM ---Carl, thanks for posting and then updating this.  I'd built something similar a while back out of 1/2" cpvc and 300ohm twin lead, but it has turned out not to be sufficiently rugged for trail use.  The 1/2" pipe is too floppy and 300ohm is downright fragile.  1" shed 40 & 450ohm are much more robust.  Rainy weekend in store... might get this one knocked out in record time.

--- End quote ---

I started the earliest test versions of this antenna with 300 ohm TV twin lead and 1/2" sched 40 PVC but they also were difficult to work with and got 'floppy' in the sun and weather,just not tough enough.

I have some Big Sticks in the air for over 8 years now ,one I made special due to the cost of a commercial antenna for Civil Air Patrol being so high and it proved to be the first antenna that CAP was able to communicate with our international airport here in Shreveport.I have run in excess of 500 watts VHF through a Big Stick with only slight discoloration of the PVC after several months...I did this for a TEST...as I don't use an amplifier on FM...only for SSB.

I will post a roll-up version of the Big Stick soon as dimensions are slightly different.(58" and 17 1/2" were the final dimensions, If you want an early start on one)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version