Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > The .22 Caliber Rifle: An Essential Homestead Firearm

A good bolt action .22lr?

<< < (3/10) > >>

TMUSCLE:

--- Quote from: PistolWhipped on April 01, 2010, 02:48:46 PM ---Why yes I have, albiet it was the one with wood furniture.  Sights were a pretty standard notch and post deal, but the wood one had a raised comb (made it a little tough to get my fat head all the way behind the sights), and practically begged for a little 4x Bushnell or Barska on top.  Trigger was like all Savage Accu-triggers, one of my favorites.  You can take them from 4.5 pounds down to around 2 pounds (which for a guy used to an AK and handguns, is almost scary light), and they are nice and crisp.

Here's a gunblast review of the Mark II.

http://www.gunblast.com/Savage-MarkIIBV22.htm

The Walmart model is the thinner sporter barrel instead of a bull target barrel, but that'll make it easier to carry when hunting tree rats.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, I'm trying to find one now at my several local Wal-marts!   ;D

PistolWhipped:
No problem.  If I wasn't looking for a Marlin Model 60 right now, I'd have bought one of them already.

madcap1one:
I bought a used, beat up, piece o' junk looking, cruddy scope wearing, Savage for $75.

Used a little cleaner on the barrel and mechanisms.
Used a little wood oil on the furniture.

Its now a slightly prettier beat up old Savage.

And it shoots better than I can...

If Jacks statement is that learning on these creates expert riflemen, I am on my way to decorated sniper... And having one heck of a fun time getting there.

Seriously, I have less than $100 total including maintenance supplies into this thing, and it is sweet. On the range in controlled conditions we are talking 1" spreads for a full 10 shot magazine at 30yards - and while I consider myself a decent shot, I am by no means a trained expert at all.

I will say this, the rifle just seems heavier and sturdier than some of the new ones being currently produced. Being a big guy, I will trade the extra carry weight for the additional sturdiness without any issue. One regret - the new Accutriggers are sweet...

TMUSCLE:

--- Quote from: madcap1one on April 02, 2010, 12:00:31 PM ---I bought a used, beat up, piece o' junk looking, cruddy scope wearing, Savage for $75.

Used a little cleaner on the barrel and mechanisms.
Used a little wood oil on the furniture.

Its now a slightly prettier beat up old Savage.

And it shoots better than I can...

If Jacks statement is that learning on these creates expert riflemen, I am on my way to decorated sniper... And having one heck of a fun time getting there.

Seriously, I have less than $100 total including maintenance supplies into this thing, and it is sweet. On the range in controlled conditions we are talking 1" spreads for a full 10 shot magazine at 30yards - and while I consider myself a decent shot, I am by no means a trained expert at all.

I will say this, the rifle just seems heavier and sturdier than some of the new ones being currently produced. Being a big guy, I will trade the extra carry weight for the additional sturdiness without any issue. One regret - the new Accutriggers are sweet...

--- End quote ---

Great...now I have to go out and get one ASAP!  LOL  ;D  My local Walmart didn't have any in, so off to Dick's!  This is the rifle I want to take to an Appleseed shoot.

Johnny_Silver:
I check my local swap sheet (its basically a giant classified newspaper) picked up a sweet Remington 511 and Savage 15a for a mere 120 bucks! The deals are out there! Looking forward to that E-book of of Jack's.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version