Finance and Economics > The Money Board

Make your own cleaning supplies. Saves money and safer for you and your family

<< < (2/12) > >>

ladieu:

--- Quote from: Spamity Calamity on February 12, 2010, 06:18:23 PM ---Whats the difference?

--- End quote ---
This pages does a pretty good explanation... bottom line is one is a petroleum and chemical based product and the other is not.

http://www.clearwatersoapworks.com/site/1501105/page/588981

Spamity Calamity:

--- Quote from: ladieu on February 13, 2010, 09:00:18 PM ---This pages does a pretty good explanation... bottom line is one is a petroleum and chemical based product and the other is not.

http://www.clearwatersoapworks.com/site/1501105/page/588981

--- End quote ---

Ah thank you very much. It makes more sense now.

Dawgus:
We've been making and using our own soaps and cleaning supplies for several years and have zero complaints. Our biggest used by far is vinegar. We use it diluted for cleaning glass, countertops, stains, and in the rinse water for laundry to soften clothes. (the smell disappears when dry) We make furniture polish from lemon juice and olive or vegetable oil. It works GREAT, but we sometimes have a problem with the dogs wanting to lick things after we're done polishing, lol.
 My wife makes one giant batch of soap a year, all from lye, though she adds oils for scents. Last years batch was two kinds, chocolate and tangerine oak moss. She makes enough at once to last us more than a year, and have pleny to give away. She also makes our deodorant, with the main ingredient being coconut oil in a solid form. We have friends and family collect empty push-up sytle empty sticks, and fill them with our mix. The only problem with it is it tends to get soft when it's hot. (we don't have a/c) Like some other's we've tried, we never have to reapply this during the day.
 We've also been making our own laundry detergent for about 4 years, using washing soda, Borax, Zoat, and Fels Naptha bar soaps. We mix the soaps half and half, just because Fels cleans great but has an odd "hospital" smell, Zoat has a better scent. Using the recipe we have, we make 2 gallons of detergent at a time for roughly $6. It takes only a tablespoon of this to do what you would need a half cup of with store bought. We used it and the vinegar rinse in regular machines then, and now still use both in the wringer washer that I restored. (clothes go thru the wringer and fall into vinegar rinse water to be run through the wringer  a second time)
 We make all of this for several reasons. 1-we save money. 2-we're putting less trash in the landfill. 3-we're dumping less toxic chemicals into our septic system and ultimately the water supply. 4-we store all the ingredients to make everything, so we never have to worry about needing anything, and 4-we're putting less chemicals on our body. I was never happy about rubbing aluminum and antifreeze under my arm, so this eliminates that totally.
 My wife is in bed with a migrane or I would ask where her little recipe book is. When I get it, I can post those that we use if anyone is interested.

archer:

--- Quote from: Dawgus on February 17, 2010, 07:18:33 PM --- My wife is in bed with a migraine or I would ask where her little recipe book is. When I get it, I can post those that we use if anyone is interested.

--- End quote ---
Please please please! I can host it if needed.

Spamity Calamity:
This is relevant to my interests.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version