Author Topic: Vacuum Seal Mason jars W/O special lids  (Read 86796 times)

Offline j13

• Fledgling Prepper
Re: Vacuum Seal Mason jars W/O special lids
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2010, 10:16:39 AM »
howdy
ive made my own vacuum "applicator" for mason jars, here's what i did

ring

lid - has (2) .250 pipe nuts on the end of a hydraulic hose which is attached to my welch vac pump

ring with a piece of coat hanger to act as a stop and to prevent the stack from sealing together and not      applying vacuum to the jar

i then applied epoxy to all seams except the one around the nuts and hydraulic hose - this makes the stack replaceable as well as the ability to re-use the hose (expensive part - about 10$)   

then the lid that's going to stay on the jar

the stack and lid is assembled loosely, this lets the air move through and out; the final seal is achieved with a piece of air tight and waterproof foam weatherstrip placed around the band and onto the stop on the neck of the jar...

I haven't used a gauge to determine how low the pressure is in the jar just yet, but it is in the plans...

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2010, 08:08:36 PM »
Hi and welcome j13 - thanks for the post although I'll have to tell you - I can hunt and help butcher, I can "can" food and dehydrate, I'm an artist and paint wall murals, I do bookkeeping and design flyers and brochures BUT I haven't the faintest idea of how to do what you said.  But I will show this to the dh and let him try it for me. Thanks for sharing - hope you enjoy the forum.  Blessings TBM

Offline j13

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2010, 11:11:04 PM »
howdy
hopefuly i can clarify and de-obfuscate what i said earlier

i glued a lid into a ring after i drilled a hole in the lid. there wasnt enough space for the hose end and another lid so i glued another ring onto the first

i got inconsistant results - the lid was getting sucked against the hose end and was stopping the process so i cut a piece of coat hanger wire to fit. the next stumble was air getting around  the threads - thats when i got a piece of weatherstrip and bridged the gap between the rolled bottom of the ring and the jar.

any better? i'll be able to post pics after in a week or 2
j

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2010, 05:57:35 PM »
I think photos of constructing the device would help,..  Looking forward to seeing them.

Also,.. how much is the pump?

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 09:17:41 PM »
I use the same hand vacuum pump that iI have used to draw a vacuum on an AC system or other automotive uses.

You can buy one at the auto parts store. Less than $40, several brands available.

Just remove the foodsaver fitting and put the hand pump connector on and it works well.

I will warn you it takes a long time to get a vacuum on an AC with a hand pump! (30 or more minutes of pumping
and you better have strong hands and good endurance) I don't recommend it.
A small jar is pretty easy by comparison.

Offline HelenWheels

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hooah!
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2010, 11:50:36 AM »
I need to make a trip to Harbor Freight to get one of these. I already have the Food Saver caps for regular and wide-mouth jars. Would be nice to have a non-electric option.

Offline endpoint

• Prepper
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2010, 07:22:42 PM »
Be aware that I've had great luck sealing up my dehydrated fruits and popcorn so far with this method but powdered milk failed for me.  I think the dust from the milk gets pulled up on to the rim and breaks the seal.  Only three out of eight jars stayed sealed.  I'm going to try it two more ways.  Once with more head space and again heating the lids to see if softening the rubber helps.  My failures did not happen immediately but definitely within a week.  I'm new to this so maybe this is already known.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2010, 04:28:07 PM »
Be aware that I've had great luck sealing up my dehydrated fruits and popcorn so far with this method but powdered milk failed for me.  I think the dust from the milk gets pulled up on to the rim and breaks the seal.  Only three out of eight jars stayed sealed.  I'm going to try it two more ways.  Once with more head space and again heating the lids to see if softening the rubber helps.  My failures did not happen immediately but definitely within a week.  I'm new to this so maybe this is already known.

Hi Endpoint - you might try putting a piece of wax paper over the milk ( I do this for flour too) and it should work.  I use the Pump N Seal and it seems to hold fine. Let us know if heating this lids helps and also welcome to the forum.  Blessings,TBM

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Freedom is precious......do something to keep it!
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2010, 01:44:25 PM »
Awesome TwoBluesMamma! Thank you!

Offline PeggyMD

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2011, 06:09:50 PM »
There used to be a You Tube video on this procedure but it has been removed.  Get a canister set for your vacuum sealer.  The largest size jar will hold a quart size mason jar.   Fill your mason jar with the food, put on the lid and screw band and place it inside the largest plastic canister - which has a special lid for attaching to a tube that connects to the vacuum machine - A Food Saver -

http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T02-0052-01-4-Quart-2-Quart-Canister/dp/B00005Q4OD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301270825&sr=8-1

Then run the vacuum procedure and the food will be vacuum packed inside the canning jar.  I store all my dehydrated food I prepared with my Excaliber dehydrator this way, plus beans and grains.   Then when you open the jar to take out some for use, I reseal it again for storage.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2011, 01:12:56 PM »
http://youtu.be/E552XSAXEdk

OK... I am tired of linking to the vid put on before about using the canister to seal glass jars... so I uploaded my own vid today. Hope this is helpful for you all...

LC

Offline HelenWheels

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hooah!
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2011, 01:25:29 PM »
YAY for LvsChant!

Offline TxGal

• Prepper
  • Texas Ant
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2012, 09:28:55 PM »
You can use one of these (cost $20) with the tube and attachment for mason jars:

http://www.foodsaver.com/product.aspx?pid=8755

This is how it works:
http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/salad-in-a-jar/yes-you-can-use-a-handheld-vacuum-pack-machine-to-seal-salad-in-a-jar

YMMV, I'm just sharing.  :D

Moving things around in the basement today, I wondered getting a new sealer so I can package dry items in jars (rice, pasta,..)

In talking with DW,.. she mentioned no interest in getting special - eXPENSIVE lids,.. I agree.

Is there a sealer that will use the normal mason jar lids but with a cold vacuum?

Edited: After posting, I realized the post was first made a couple of years ago.

Offline TxGal

• Prepper
  • Texas Ant
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2012, 09:32:13 PM »
imstillworkin on youtube also shows how to make your own vacuum sealer for mason jars (dry storage)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2012, 06:41:14 AM »
Thanks TxGal for the link. I have one of those little handheld vac-sealers and never tried it with my lid attachment! +1

Offline TxGal

• Prepper
  • Texas Ant
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2012, 10:23:49 AM »
Great video! +1

http://youtu.be/E552XSAXEdk

OK... I am tired of linking to the vid put on before about using the canister to seal glass jars... so I uploaded my own vid today. Hope this is helpful for you all...

LC

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2012, 11:33:35 AM »
You can use one of these (cost $20) with the tube and attachment for mason jars:

http://www.foodsaver.com/product.aspx?pid=8755

This is how it works:
http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/salad-in-a-jar/yes-you-can-use-a-handheld-vacuum-pack-machine-to-seal-salad-in-a-jar

YMMV, I'm just sharing.  :D

Edited: After posting, I realized the post was first made a couple of years ago.
Nothing wrong with bring old threads back to the top.  I had forgotten that I was planning to work on the dry storage system,.. Good to be reminded of things still needing to be done.

The Redneck Vacuum Sealer was interesting..  Have to investigate that more.

Offline Thunderhawkburner

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2012, 09:06:05 PM »
Does anyone know if the Foodsaver canning jar attachment works over Tattler lids and rings?

TH

Offline Welshrats

• Prepper
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2012, 11:00:44 AM »
Does anyone know if the Foodsaver canning jar attachment works over Tattler lids and rings?

TH

Out of curiosity, I just sealed an empty wide mouth pint jar using my Foodsaver and a Tattler lid. The seal appears just as tight as a regular lid. I'll keep the jar around as a long term experiment to see if it leaks over time.

That being said, for me, normal canning lids are a better option. They are cheaper and will (presumably) last as long as the Tattlers when used for vacuum purposes.

I have normal metal lids that I use with a Pump N Seal which I've opened at least once a week for 4+ years. They show no sign of wear and I expect them to be viable for a long time.

Offline Thunderhawk

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2012, 08:28:52 PM »
Thanks!  I have been considering buying a lot of Tattler lids just because they are reusable. I'm glad to know they can be used for regular canning and vacuume sealing.

Th

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2012, 09:46:41 PM »
1st of all I use the Foodsaver@ apparatus for vac-sealing mason jars and it works well. Next, TwoBluesMama, your name starts with "two" and your icon has "two" dogs in it? What is with that? And finally if you want a low-tech method of vacuum sealing, take your goodies out into the international space station, take a space walk and in zero vacuum and just simply toss in your produce, and it might freeze dry too, and seal it up. Back to earth and you're done!!

I do stand behind the first sentence in this post, the rest is for your entertainment.

Offline LizardGurl

• Survivor
  • Low Carb Paleo Permaculturist Locavore
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2013, 08:24:49 AM »
I bought an Actron Automotive vacuum pump with the sole purpose being to use it for sealing dehydrated food.  I got the idea from an Amazon review of the Foodsaver.  It was less than half the cost of the Foodsaver.  The black hose that comes with it fits the Foodsaver accessory hose perfectly.  I use the Foodsaver Mason jar and canister accessories with it.  It's been working great for me.

I don't think you could do bags with this, but I don't like having plastic touching my food, so I wasn't ever going to do bags.

LG

Offline Welshrats

• Prepper
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2013, 12:48:32 PM »
Out of curiosity, I just sealed an empty wide mouth pint jar using my Foodsaver and a Tattler lid. The seal appears just as tight as a regular lid. I'll keep the jar around as a long term experiment to see if it leaks over time.

That being said, for me, normal canning lids are a better option. They are cheaper and will (presumably) last as long as the Tattlers when used for vacuum purposes.

I have normal metal lids that I use with a Pump N Seal which I've opened at least once a week for 4+ years. They show no sign of wear and I expect them to be viable for a long time.

Update:

I was going through some of my canning supplies this morning and I noticed some jars I'd sealed up in early November to test the viability of using Tattler lids for vacuum sealing. For the test, I vacuum sealed a dozen pint jars, 3 with standard canning lids and 9 with various incarnations of tattler lids, i.e. new wide mouth, previously used wide mouth, new standard and used standard mouth. After 7 months of storage only one Tattler still held vacuum while all three standard lids are held.

I love Tattler lids for canning applications and haven't had any problems with them holding their seal, but based on these results, I won't use them for vacuum sealing.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2016, 07:39:54 PM »
Bumping a good thread

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2018, 04:26:50 AM »
Interesting thread. I just ordered an inexpensive dehydrator. I probably got the cart in front of the horse  ::), I haven't really considered methods for long term storage of the dried product. Leaning toward the FoodSaver jar attachment and a hand held thing of some kind.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2018, 06:33:08 PM »
Glad you bumped into this one Red.  ;D

Reminds me about the Actron Automotive vacuum pump that she posted above.
I been gonna ck that out.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2018, 01:53:41 AM »
Hmm, just looked that up. I have a Mityvac I bought about 30 odd years ago. Wonder if it still works. I think I know where it is too.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2018, 04:20:27 AM »
All righty here's a question. I was thinking a few days ago about the pile of used but not bent jar lids I have. I wondered if I boiled them would the indentation come out and the lids be useable for vacuum sealing. The indentation did come out completely on most of the dozen I tried. I know that they aren't recommended for reuse in water bath or pressure canning but what about vacuum sealing jars where the goal is not long term (years) storage. Has anyone done this, what are some thoughts on this?

Always looking to save some money. ::)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2018, 09:29:53 AM »
After one of the  ladies mentioned using questionable lids like Walmarts Mainstay lids, and good used lids, we started saving all lids, then sort later on, and clean the black marker off of them.
We used a few last year when we vacuum packed dried apples in mason jars.
They are still indented/sealed.

The lids that are obviously bent, after we've used a pop bottle cap opener on them, we throw away.
Here lately, to save lid damage, I've been removing lids by placing both thumbs under the overhanging lip and push hard. Normally they come off. Pressure canned lids are tougher than say jelly jar lids.

I think saving lids is a good thing, and try to reuse them wherever.
I see used lids on Ebay ocassionally...... :rofl:  We could sell em there...... ::)

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2018, 09:59:32 AM »
Yep I've been saving them if they aren't bent. I've only bent one. When a jar is empty and washed I put the lid on upside down and lightly put a band. Tells me the jar is not new but clean and I don't wash again before using it. I think I'll use some used lids on the dried fruit when I get the stuff to seal the jars. I've been pulling them off with my fingers. This morning I saw a YT vid of a guy using a cereal spoon upside down against the threads. Slide it around until it was against the thread and the lid then pry and slide until the lid came off. Can't find the vid now.