Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Communications

The last days of secure end-to-end encryption?

<< < (2/4) > >>

FreeLancer:
I've been on the fence for a few months about trying a Purism laptop.  They're expected to release a smartphone later this year.  It all sounds good, in theory, but I have my doubts about real-world usability.

--- Quote ---Our products are designed from the hardware on up to respect you and your digital life, they come with physical hardware kill switches for your camera and microphone, with all known hardware backdoors completely neutralized and disabled (Intel Management Engine), running a curated freedom-respecting operating system and software applications, for maximum protection. We put your security at the forefront, and our laptops and smartphones will never invade your privacy.
--- End quote ---

The problem with end-to-end encryption is that I can't ever find anyone on the other end who's up for it.  PGP and ProtonMail are effective products, but not when everyone else uses Gmail.

Docwatmo:

--- Quote from: FreeLancer on July 29, 2019, 10:09:27 PM ---I've been on the fence for a few months about trying a Purism

The problem with end-to-end encryption is that I can't ever find anyone on the other end who's up for it.  PGP and ProtonMail are effective products, but not when everyone else uses Gmail.

--- End quote ---

This is why I haven't adopted it.  I tried several times for years, but could never find enough end users in my list to make use of it.

Doc

Mr. Bill:
Reuters, 7/30/19: 'Five Eyes' security alliance calls for access to encrypted material

--- Quote ---...After a two-day summit in London, senior ministers from the group comprising the United States and allies Britain, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, said encryption should not come at the expense of the public’s safety.

“We are concerned where companies deliberately design their systems in a way that precludes any form of access to content, even in cases of the most serious crimes,” the group said in a statement following the conference.

“Tech companies should include mechanisms in the design of their encrypted products and services whereby governments, acting with appropriate legal authority, can obtain access to data in a readable and usable format.”...

“Encryption presents a unique challenge. We must ensure that we do not stand by as advances in technology create spaces where criminal activity of the most heinous kind can go undetected and unpunished,” [US Attorney General] Barr said after the security summit.

Britain’s Home Office said that the tech industry, which took part in a roundtable with ministers, agreed to collaborate with the Five Eyes on a set of voluntary principles, which will be drawn up by the end of the September, on steps to combat child sex abuse, including the growing threat of livestreaming.
--- End quote ---

Emphasis added.  I'm not sure which members of "the tech industry" made this agreement, but I can guess who was included and who was omitted.

As for "advances in technology", public key cryptography was proposed in 1874(!) and was developed into practical tools between 1973-1978.  The first version of PGP was released in 1991.  So Barr is complaining about "advances" that were literally made over 40 years ago.

fritz_monroe:

--- Quote from: FreeLancer on July 29, 2019, 10:09:27 PM ---I've been on the fence for a few months about trying a Purism laptop.  They're expected to release a smartphone later this year.  It all sounds good, in theory, but I have my doubts about real-world usability.

--- End quote ---
Looks like good stuff, but I can't justify $699 for a phone that I don't know will receive support in the future.

FreeLancer:

--- Quote from: fritz_monroe on July 30, 2019, 05:47:57 PM ---Looks like good stuff, but I can't justify $699 for a phone that I don't know will receive support in the future.

--- End quote ---

That's the problem with online security and privacy being a niche market.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version