Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > General Ammo, Reloading, Bullet Casting, & Ammo Craft

Ammo Can Efficiency: Maximizing rounds per volume

<< < (2/9) > >>

Carl:
  When I was in production,a 7 gallon bucket full of pistol ammo caused no deformations and neither did TUMBLING the 10,000 or so LIVE pistol rounds at a time in a home size cement mixer. Ammo is pretty tough.

Jack Crabb:
Impressive.

There is oxidation paper https://www.amazon.com/Armor-Protective-Packaging-MPI1212-Corrosion/dp/B00KF580NE/ref=sr_1_2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1490629090&sr=1-2&keywords=rust+paper that would protect from oxidation.

Also, it is thinner than the corrugated cardboard so you might be able to repack the .40's and get another half dozen or so cartridges in the can.

FreeLancer:

--- Quote from: LVWood on March 27, 2017, 08:39:34 AM ---Any concerns with the weight on the bottom rounds causing deformations?

--- End quote ---

It had crossed my mind, among other concerns.  I started with the cheap FMJ to see how it handled it and was intending to leave my JHP stuff in the packaging, but, in the end, anything I had at least 500 rounds of got stripped down and stacked.  The space savings won me over, because I've got more ammo coming and only so much storage room where I can hide this from "she who must be obeyed."

--- Quote from: Carl on March 27, 2017, 08:49:51 AM ---  When I was in production,a 7 gallon bucket full of pistol ammo caused no deformations and neither did TUMBLING the 10,000 or so LIVE pistol rounds at a time in a home size cement mixer. Ammo is pretty tough.

--- End quote ---

Wow.  That's encouraging, I will stay calm and stack on, then.

--- Quote from: Jack Crabb on March 27, 2017, 09:42:46 AM ---Also, it is thinner than the corrugated cardboard so you might be able to repack the .40's and get another half dozen or so cartridges in the can.

--- End quote ---

Interesting.  I might have to try it, although my humidity is low here, so corrosion is down the list of concerns.  Is it fairly abrasion/tear resistant?  Best case scenario, I might be able to fit an additional 162 rds of .40 in the can if I could do layers of 13 and 14, instead of 13 and 12.

bcksknr:
     I feel much better about my OCD now. I too keep everything in military ammo cans, but not in a safe. I have pretty much put everything in Midway U.S.A. cardstock boxes with styro inserts, because most of my reloads come from found brass at the range. My hunting ammo is all soft point and I like the security of having them not rattling around. Most of my.223 is in 10 round stripper clips and then packaged in 3 stripper clip cardboard sleeves. LULA makes a nice stripper clip/magazine reloader that's very fast. Most of these are in military bandoliers. I like the idea of being able to "grab and go", but it means less in each can/more cans. I do have the space and the "Boss" knows what we've got; no complaints. I also store soft point pistol ammo in styro; I don't want to have to worry about mashing the bullet tips. Those nice white boxes are easy to label and date and rotate. I probably don't have as much put away as you, but I weighed how much ammo I might go through in a SHTF before I get shot. Of course it could be a barter item, but I have enough for that.
     A trick that I found for silica dessicant is to buy a drum (I think they are five or ten pounds) of flower drying crystals at a craft store. I sewed up some 4x4 inch bags out of canvas duck and filled them with crystals before sewing them closed. I've never had one tear or leak and you can recharge them in the oven, no problem. I toss them into by grain buckets too. They seem to work well and save some bucks.   

never_retreat:

--- Quote from: Carl on March 27, 2017, 08:49:51 AM ---  When I was in production,a 7 gallon bucket full of pistol ammo caused no deformations and neither did TUMBLING the 10,000 or so LIVE pistol rounds at a time in a home size cement mixer. Ammo is pretty tough.

--- End quote ---
Got to be careful doing that. Long runs in the tumbler can change the shapes of the grains of powder, change the burn rate, and affect the case pressure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version