Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > General Ammo, Reloading, Bullet Casting, & Ammo Craft

The Legal implications of hand-loads for self defense

(1/5) > >>

Serellan:
In a recent Guns & Ammo compilation on home defense, there was a great article on the legalities of concealed carry and armed defense. (I wish I could find an online version to link to, if anyone can, please post it).

The one thing in the article that I hadn't thought of before was the legal implications of using handloads.  The author recommends only using factory ammo for CC & home defense.  This is because handloads can provide inconsistant ballistic data from penetration & GSR residue that might conflict with what actually happens.  There are several examples of people using hot or light loads that caused them legal troubles in the aftermath of a personal defense shooting.  In one case, a defendant's wife killed herself, but because the husband had loaded their home defense pistol with really light loads for her, there was no GSR on her from the self-inflicted wound.  The prosecuters argued that because there was no GSR on her, she must have been shot from a distance.  The defendant tried to enter his detailed loading notes as evidence, but was overturned.

I don't handload, for me I use 124g Federal Hydrashock in my 92FS, and 65g Magtech Defense in my P32 pocket carry; but I thought this would be good information for those of you who may use handloads in PD firearms.

millerized1:
I "DO" reload, but NEVER carry them in my EDC.

Practice, practice practice with Personal Defense ammo would cost me a fortune, a self defense shooting with reloads just might cost me everything.

JokersWild:

--- Quote from: Serellan on November 21, 2008, 01:05:12 PM ---I don't handload, for me I use 124g Federal Hydrashock in my 92FS, and 65g Magtech Defense in my P32 pocket carry; but I thought this would be good information for those of you who may use handloads in PD firearms.

--- End quote ---

There was a segment on Personal Defense TV done by Massad Ayoob regarding this same matter. He stated that it's fine to use handloads for plinking for when carrying for personal defense it's best to use commercial. I believe he also said to date when you loaded your firearm with the particular rounds and sign it.

TimSuggs:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=833.0

Some more chitchat about the legalities of CCW concerns.

Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL. USA!

TacticalSquirrel:
There isn't a single case in the US that has had this issue come up, nor a conviction because the person used handloads. The arguement that handloads were crafted to kill better can also be looked at as they were made to be more accurate, lessening danger to bystanders. The issue of not using handloads for self defense has blown into something bordering on urban legend.

I use factory in all my guns, but I would not have a problem using remanufactured from a quality company nor reloads offduty if I was satisfied with their consistency and quality.

I think its more about quality, not legalities, as to the reason to use factory vs reloads.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version