Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Transportation

Goatdog's Project 505

<< < (6/97) > >>

Goatdog62:

--- Quote from: chris on July 29, 2009, 05:14:10 PM ---Biggest improvment I can see would be a lift kit. You already mentioned doing it. My stock Jeep was pretty good off-road, but the lift kit made a jy-normous improvement. It climbs small buildings now. I'd skip the snorkel. They're good but only if the water level stays below the electronics. Older vehicles can run through water fine and the snorkel keeps the air flowing. If you're electronics get wet, getting air won't make a hill of beans. Unless you rewire and move everything "up", I don't see how the snorkel will help at all.

--- End quote ---

I'm thinking 2" is what I'll do for a lift, anymore than that will affect daily enjoyment. I've lifted others before. Probably go with an Old Man Emu kit (OME).

The Expedition Portal guys use the snorkels on their 4Runners. I haven't read much about raising the electronics, but I will now. Thanks for the heads up.

archer:

--- Quote from: Sister Wolf on July 29, 2009, 04:36:17 PM ---My papa used to take us storm chasing when my brothers and I were very wee.  My mother would have an absolute cow, but papa never listened.  Storm chasing was the only thing he ever really put his foot down about.  I never grew out of it.  It's in my blood, I think.  I love the smell of the desert right after a thunderstorm, and the way your heart races when you know it's gonna be a hell of a show (even before it happens.  Maybe especially right before it happens, when you get storm goosebumps all over), and I love weather sirens, when everybody else is scared out of their pants because the sky is emitting moisture and electricity (buncha wimps).  But when you can feel the thunder in your bones, and you can see the lightning playing on the water, where there aren't any buildings to interfere, and the sea is reaching up for the shock, and the clouds are reaching down for a drink...  Crispies.  Love it.

--- End quote ---
Damn, I love to watch and feel the energy of storms.. Maybe wit the coming El Nino I'll go to the coast and watch/experience a few properly.

chris:

--- Quote from: Goatdog62 on July 29, 2009, 05:22:18 PM ---The Expedition Portal guys use the snorkels on their 4Runners. I haven't read much about raising the electronics, but I will now. Thanks for the heads up.

--- End quote ---

I've seen lots of guys with snorkels, who only get their 4x4's wet when it rains. I've seen people say it gets better gas mileage because your're pulling air from outside instead of the engine compartment, so maybe it's good for morethan preventing hydrolock. I did a trip with a guy in his Ford with a snorkel, and about the time the water hit the dash, the whole vehicle shut down. YMMV. I had water up to the bottom of the seats in my Cherokee without a hitch (with a 6 inch lift kit). I don't have a snorkel, so I'm a bit leery of pushing it. I spent half a day pulling a Laredo out of the same creek (2 inch lift kit). I'm not a 4runner fan, so I have no idea how vulnerable it is to water. Although if someone gave me an FJ, I'd become a fan in a hurry.

I have a buddy who's a serious 4runner offroader, and I'll ask him.

Sister Wolf:

--- Quote from: Archer on July 29, 2009, 05:34:47 PM ---Damn, I love to watch and feel the energy of storms.. Maybe wit the coming El Nino I'll go to the coast and watch/experience a few properly.

--- End quote ---

You've got a hell of a coastline to watch up there too.  I think it gets more violent up by you than it does down by me.  Lucky ducky.  ;)

Alright, threadjack over.  Back to your regularly scheduled BOV.

Copyright 1972:
 ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version