Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Transportation

Goatdog's Project 505

<< < (5/97) > >>

Goatdog62:

--- Quote from: Hare of Caerbannog on July 29, 2009, 03:59:49 PM ---Just one question. Do you sometimes wear a mask and a cape?

--- End quote ---

Was that you peeping in my bedroom window?

Perv... ;D

Sister Wolf:

--- Quote from: Goatdog62 on July 29, 2009, 04:05:54 PM ---I thought I was the only one. I love watching the weather when it gets angry.

--- End quote ---

My papa used to take us storm chasing when my brothers and I were very wee.  My mother would have an absolute cow, but papa never listened.  Storm chasing was the only thing he ever really put his foot down about.  I never grew out of it.  It's in my blood, I think.  I love the smell of the desert right after a thunderstorm, and the way your heart races when you know it's gonna be a hell of a show (even before it happens.  Maybe especially right before it happens, when you get storm goosebumps all over), and I love weather sirens, when everybody else is scared out of their pants because the sky is emitting moisture and electricity (buncha wimps).  But when you can feel the thunder in your bones, and you can see the lightning playing on the water, where there aren't any buildings to interfere, and the sea is reaching up for the shock, and the clouds are reaching down for a drink...  Crispies.  Love it.

Goatdog62:

--- Quote from: pathfinder on July 29, 2009, 04:04:48 PM ---Great project, still downloading the pictures even though I have fast DSL.  >:(

Brilliant idea on the front tow hitch. You would be surprised at the number of people even in farm and ranch country who don't even think about doing something like that. It will be handy. Just make sure the hitches are capable of supporting the capacity of the winch. No sense getting a 2000 pound hitch setup for a winch that can handle 5000 pounds.

--- End quote ---

The best I found for the front was a 3500 lb. I don't anticipate needing more than that but will keep looking until I actually purchase one.

Goatdog62:

--- Quote from: Sister Wolf on July 29, 2009, 04:36:17 PM ---My papa used to take us storm chasing when my brothers and I were very wee.  My mother would have an absolute cow, but papa never listened.  Storm chasing was the only thing he ever really put his foot down about.  I never grew out of it.  It's in my blood, I think.  I love the smell of the desert right after a thunderstorm, and the way your heart races when you know it's gonna be a hell of a show (even before it happens.  Maybe especially right before it happens, when you get storm goosebumps all over), and I love weather sirens, when everybody else is scared out of their pants because the sky is emitting moisture and electricity (buncha wimps).  But when you can feel the thunder in your bones, and you can see the lightning playing on the water, where there aren't any buildings to interfere, and the sea is reaching up for the shock, and the clouds are reaching down for a drink...  Crispies.  Love it.

--- End quote ---

Very eloquent SW. Glad your Dad didn't let the TV suck the life out of you. Kids these days don't get outside enough.

I was pointing out to some folks the other night how to navigate with the moon and stars and they were astounded. They had never heard about doing it that way. My father pointed out a lot of that stuff to me. I just ran with it because of my obsessiveness with subjects that currently interest me. I have a tendency to grasp a subject and chew it up like a pit bull until I know all I care to know. With my kids, I have occasional"Training Days" and frequent "Training Minutes" that used to make them groan, but now they ask when the next one is coming up.

chris:
Biggest improvment I can see would be a lift kit. You already mentioned doing it. My stock Jeep was pretty good off-road, but the lift kit made a jy-normous improvement. It climbs small buildings now. I'd skip the snorkel. They're good but only if the water level stays below the electronics. Older vehicles can run through water fine and the snorkel keeps the air flowing. If you're electronics get wet, getting air won't make a hill of beans. Unless you rewire and move everything "up", I don't see how the snorkel will help at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version