Author Topic: Opinel modifications?  (Read 8036 times)

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Opinel modifications?
« on: August 17, 2014, 08:05:12 PM »
I have this Opinel No. 8 that I bought last year to pack in my checked luggage when I visited my parents. Cheap knife. If it gets "lost" by TSA, no big deal.

I was helping my father assemble a new grill he got for Christmas and using the Opinel to cut open packaging, etc. when the tip caught on something and my hand slid forward. My finger went into that corner of the blade that helps it lock in and cut fairly deep. Not deep enough to warrant an emergency room visit, but it hurt for a couple days.

Does anyone have any good mods to the handle or anything else that could prevent this in the future? I'm already considering regrinding to a drop point just because I like a drop point better than a clip point.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Opinel modifications?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 08:37:27 PM »
Wrap porus tape or vet wrap up near the top of the handle?

Cedar

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 08:53:19 PM »
I dunno. I just pulled it out to have a look at it and I think part of my problem is that I choke up on the handle like you would on a knife with a guard or choil. Maybe I just need to rethink how I handle it vs. my other knives? I don't think I'm just being clumsy because I haven't accidentally cut myself with a knife in such a very long time.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 07:00:25 AM »
Opinel is a folder...but a wrist lanyard will help, adjust to to keep hand away from blade and you will find it actually ADDs to blade control-ability. Plus a 1/2" dulled area at rear of blade works good for fire steel scraper.

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 07:43:46 AM »
Opinel is a folder...but a wrist lanyard will help, adjust to to keep hand away from blade and you will find it actually ADDs to blade control-ability. Plus a 1/2" dulled area at rear of blade works good for fire steel scraper.

Glad to see someone thinks this would work. I thought about this last night before bed. I'll have to try it and see if it helps. Possibly round over the corner of the blade a bit since that's what cut into me.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 07:59:37 AM »
Glad to see someone thinks this would work. I thought about this last night before bed. I'll have to try it and see if it helps. Possibly round over the corner of the blade a bit since that's what cut into me.

I have the Cold Steel /Opinel folder with black krayton handle and I used a roto-sanding drum to cut front finger groove into the handle material to aide in keeping me clear of blade.

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 01:35:06 PM »
I have the Cold Steel /Opinel folder with black krayton handle and I used a roto-sanding drum to cut front finger groove into the handle material to aide in keeping me clear of blade.
Yeah, I thought about this but I hold it with the lock between my thumb and forefinger.

endurance

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 02:57:12 PM »
I just saw this on a firefighter forum for treatment of a flashlight to make it more glove-friendly and I think I might give my hunting knife handle the same treatment so it's easier to hold when things get wet and slippery.  Looks like just a spiral of parachute cord covered with a wrap of athletic tape.

A lot of hockey players give their stick handles a similar treatment.

Of course, as I post this I realize that the #8 is a folder and therefore, this won't work, but I'm leaving this comment anyway because someone else might find it useful.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 08:07:59 PM »
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

You might want to look at some knife carving grips / techniques. A big part is using correct technique to limit blade travel and increase control - keeping your soft parts away from the sharp edge.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 08:02:09 AM »
Aside of using safer grip on your tool, you can do some simple checkering on the wooden handle. Or find a gunsmith who has the tool set for gunstock checkering. Or get the set yourself and perhaps you'll find a new hobby (and a way to earn some cash) if you master the checkering technique.
I have a vintage Cold Steel Twistmaster, which is basically an Opinel clone, with handle made of checkered polymer plastic. Can be held very surely and securely.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 08:21:57 AM »
Aside of using safer grip on your tool, you can do some simple checkering on the wooden handle. Or find a gunsmith who has the tool set for gunstock checkering. Or get the set yourself and perhaps you'll find a new hobby (and a way to earn some cash) if you master the checkering technique.
I have a vintage Cold Steel Twistmaster, which is basically an Opinel clone, with handle made of checkered polymer plastic. Can be held very surely and securely.

That is exactly the knife that I sand-drummed till it had a nice front finger groove..I bought 5 of them ,years ago for $4.95 each at a mall kiosk knife deal....no regrets.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 09:49:03 AM »
I bought it couple months back on ebay for $45... those good old models are getting pricy. But still worth the money over most of their recent production, made of lesser steels with cheaper techniques for the same money. I'm glad I bought a bunch of old style Voyagers while they were still around.
Anyway, the Twistmaster feels to me as quite safe to hold, I don't think I'd modify the grip any. I like it the way it is. Of course, most of all I like the nice and flat CarbonV blade. Holds razor edge and strikes ferro-rod nicely with it's spine. I bet it would also throw sparks woth flint, but haven't tried yet. How are the original Opinel blades?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 10:09:30 AM »
I bought it couple months back on ebay for $45... those good old models are getting pricy. But still worth the money over most of their recent production, made of lesser steels with cheaper techniques for the same money. I'm glad I bought a bunch of old style Voyagers while they were still around.
Anyway, the Twistmaster feels to me as quite safe to hold, I don't think I'd modify the grip any. I like it the way it is. Of course, most of all I like the nice and flat CarbonV blade. Holds razor edge and strikes ferro-rod nicely with it's spine. I bet it would also throw sparks woth flint, but haven't tried yet. How are the original Opinel blades?

I don't have experience with other than the Black checkered grip Twist-masters I bought  with the CarbonV blades...I have ONE I have used for over 15 years and FOUR still in the packages....I will probably only ever use the one,unless I lose it.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 08:39:43 PM »
I use an opinel all the time for wood carving - walking sticks, wood spoons, fire sticks, wood spirits - I refer a knife with no finger groove or guard for most bushcraft work. Look at a chef's knife - no guard, no checkering - pick the right tool for the right job and use the right technique. That's how you don't get cut.

The Mora knives with a guard are considered the "kids" model - once you learn how to handle a knife, you get one without a guard.