Site Suggestions, Support and Resources > ANNOUNCEMENTS

thesurvivalpodcast.com (Forum and Blog) are moving to a new hosting service

<< < (3/16) > >>

bartsdad:

--- Quote from: Mr. Bill on March 31, 2011, 01:09:21 PM ---In addition to whatever precautions Jack is taking, we do automatic nightly backups of the entire forum to a remote location, and the backups are backed up to a second remote location.  So we're fairly well prepared for a disaster. :)

--- End quote ---

Now if we had a dial up network established in the event of an interwebs shut down. Hmm..... :tinfoily:

OldManSchmidt:
Will modern modems even work with the speeds that an old style direct dial-up runs?  Not to mention that given the traffic this site sees from the regulars, most of us would never manage to get on anyway.  Ahh, the days of the single line BBS.  I miss those days.

Docwatmo:
LOL, I cut my teeth on BBS systems back in the day.  (Man my dad got mad the first time he got a phone bill after I got out of the Army and moved back home LOL)  My first non military internet connectivity was through a BBS uplink a friend ran.  Man those were the days.  (I remember I had an IRQ comm port issue between my fancy new seriel mouse (Yes, I'm old)  and fancy used soundblaster card.  The modem only downloaded while the mouse was moving.  So I had to open a page and slide the mouse back and forth so it would download. I believe after 3 days of using it that way, that was the first time I ever actually threatened a computers life.  ;)

nano.:

--- Quote from: Docwatmo on April 01, 2011, 05:49:55 AM ---LOL, I cut my teeth on BBS systems back in the day.  (Man my dad got mad the first time he got a phone bill after I got out of the Army and moved back home LOL)  My first non military internet connectivity was through a BBS uplink a friend ran.  Man those were the days.  (I remember I had an IRQ comm port issue between my fancy new seriel mouse (Yes, I'm old)  and fancy used soundblaster card.  The modem only downloaded while the mouse was moving.  So I had to open a page and slide the mouse back and forth so it would download. I believe after 3 days of using it that way, that was the first time I ever actually threatened a computers life.  ;)

--- End quote ---

god I remember those days.. or before AIM or AOL you had IRC for chat. Used to be the place to go for Mp3s, etc... haha.. all the bot wars we used to have back then... ahh... awesome! :D

Mr. Bill:
So here's where we stand...

The forum is running on the new server.  If you're reading this, you're seeing the new server at HostGator.

Our domain (thesurvivalpodcast.com) has been changed from its old IP address (173.192.186.133) to its new HostGator IP address (174.120.152.220).  This change is still propagating across the net, which means some people are still seeing only the "down for maintenance" message from the old server.  (The only reason I'm able to post this is that I edited my hosts file to include our new IP address -- my ISP's nameservers don't know about it yet!)

HostGator started transferring data from the old host on Saturday 4/2 at 11:34 PM Pacific time.  Logins at the new host were enabled on Sunday 4/3 at 4:14 PM Pacific.  So everything you did on the forum between those two timepoints is currently missing.

* I've recovered copies of all messages posted during that gap.  I'll try to re-post them here tomorrow.
* Any personal messages sent during that gap are gone for good.
* Any poll votes made during the gap are also gone.
* New members who registered during that gap are, unfortunately, not registered here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version