Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Martial Arts, Unarmed Self Defense, Hand To Hand Combat, and Physical Fitness

D & D for weight loss

<< < (2/3) > >>

Chemsoldier:
Good for them, whatever works.  If that is what it takes to get folks healthier and/or more fit, awesome.

Kind of makes me think of Christopher McDougall's Natuaral Born Heroes.  His basic theory is that being a hero is a skill set that can be learned.  The book is a little more disjointed than his first big book, Born to Run, but still really interesting and far more applicable to preppers.

David in MN:

--- Quote from: danimal on September 02, 2015, 07:53:52 AM ---No judgement! I don't do the real metal armor thing either. A friend does and they beat the crap out of each other with wood staff/swords.

I am looking online for a Nerdstrong T shirt!

--- End quote ---

That's the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism). It is a fun way to get a workout, get your inner nerd out, and bruise a rib. Ask me how I know.

Josh the Aspie:
As far as the foam swords, one of the organizations doing that is "AMTGuard.  It has classes and leveling and experience for showing up to different events (with more xp for big events that are all day than 1/2 morning events).

The Professor:
I gave up the SCA about 15 years ago when my local group in Colorado started getting even wierder than normal.

However, since I have moved back to the area where we first started, the wife and I have considered going back, especially for the Heavy Weapons Fighting.  As others have pointed out, it is a hell of a workout.

I saw an article on my Fox News App that spoke of the guy in the OP's post.  I thought it was genius.  As many know, it takes motivation to keep going to the gym and the trainers who came up with this LoTR-based workout had a great idea if it keeps people coming back.

I had a similar idea for what I wanted to call Warrior's Yoga, sort of a mix between Tai Chi and Yoga moves done to a mix of inspiring mood music aimed at getting guys (and appropriately-minded women) into the gym to stretch and "bond" in a Warrior's Mindset.  I might have to revisit the idea.

The Professor

Ms. Albatross:

--- Quote from: The Professor on September 04, 2015, 07:28:41 PM ---I saw an article on my Fox News App that spoke of the guy in the OP's post.  I thought it was genius.  As many know, it takes motivation to keep going to the gym and the trainers who came up with this LoTR-based workout had a great idea if it keeps people coming back.

--- End quote ---

That was my thought when I saw the article.  Genius. 

--- Quote from: The Professor on September 04, 2015, 07:28:41 PM ---
I had a similar idea for what I wanted to call Warrior's Yoga, sort of a mix between Tai Chi and Yoga moves done to a mix of inspiring mood music aimed at getting guys (and appropriately-minded women) into the gym to stretch and "bond" in a Warrior's Mindset.  I might have to revisit the idea.

The Professor

--- End quote ---

I say go for it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version