Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Martial Arts, Unarmed Self Defense, Hand To Hand Combat, and Physical Fitness

D & D for weight loss

(1/3) > >>

Ms. Albatross:
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/08/30/this-guy-lost-47-pounds-in-months-by-pretending-to-be-wizard/?intcmp=trending

Hey, I'm all for whatever works.

--- Quote ---...He started doing workouts inspired by one of his passions, The Lord of the Rings.  The workout is called “Eye of Sauron,” and it was created by Andrew Deutsch, the head coach and owner of Nerdstrong Gym in North Hollywood, California.

Deutsch started Nerdstrong in his garage in 2013, when he became the personal fitness trainer for the dungeon master at his Dungeons & Dragons group. Since then, he’s created workouts designed to appeal to people more interested in Dr. Who and Star Wars than kettlebells.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Nerdstrong isn’t the only gym trying to create a safe space for people who normally avoid gyms. Mark Fisher Fitness in New York City takes a similar approach, catering to Broadway buffs, nerds, geeks, and unicorn lovers. As owner and founder Fisher describes it, his gym is “like the isle of Misfit toys.”

Like Nerdstrong, Fisher offers themed workouts inspired by pop culture fictions that his members enjoy, which include movies like Point Break, The Big Lebowski, and Back to the Future, as well as ninja and superhero workouts.

It’s also a place to, well, let’s say let your freak flag fly.

“We make it a space that’s safe for someone who wants to dress as an S&M unicorn pirate,” explains Fisher.
--- End quote ---

This is actually quite inspired.  Maybe I should have put this in the "Create your own job" thread.  It seems you could take almost any obsession hobby and turn it into an appealing workout and start a business. 

danimal:
And I thought I could wave a freak flag. Wow. Hmmmm. Now that I think about it, someone told me about a group of people that buy/build foam swords and chase each other around in "battles" at local parks. Not SCA. Foam swords. But like the OP says, whatever works.

David in MN:
I can attest from much personal experience that wearing a suit of chainmail, axes, knives, surcoat, boots, etc. weighing in around 50 lbs is a crazy workout. Walking around in the hot sun wearing that getup is draining. When Gen Con was still in Milwaukee I'd dress 4 days in a row and by the end be dragging.

Gulo gulo:

--- Quote from: danimal on September 01, 2015, 08:53:43 PM ---And I thought I could wave a freak flag. Wow. Hmmmm. Now that I think about it, someone told me about a group of people that buy/build foam swords and chase each other around in "battles" at local parks. Not SCA. Foam swords. But like the OP says, whatever works.

--- End quote ---

It's called LARP (Live Action RolePlay).

i have kids BTW, in before the virgin jokes. Only til 24.

danimal:
No judgement! I don't do the real metal armor thing either. A friend does and they beat the crap out of each other with wood staff/swords.

I am looking online for a Nerdstrong T shirt!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version