Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Martial Arts, Unarmed Self Defense, Hand To Hand Combat, and Physical Fitness

Anyone else dealt with a frozen shoulder?

<< < (2/7) > >>

artephius:

--- Quote from: r_w on August 06, 2015, 06:39:04 AM ---DIET! Specifically, an anti inflammatory diet. And a few high quality supplements for rebuilding nerve, cartilage and muscle.

--- End quote ---

Yeah that's the big elephant in the room I've been avoiding... I do eat a lot of fresh stuff from my garden, but my total diet probably isn't the best. Maybe It's time to buckle down and try the one month paleo challenge. I never considered an anti-inflammatory diet as a way to help with this problem though (always thought of it along the lines of gut-type inflammation) but that makes sense!

--- Quote from: r_w on August 06, 2015, 06:39:04 AM ---It takes TIME.  Most people give up too soon.

--- End quote ---

Yeah that's the worst part I think. It just seems to never end.

r_w:
It took me about 90 days to turn the corner on gut health, AFTER we figured out the specific supplements and protocols that worked.  Took my wife 9-12 months.  It depends how long you have taken to get to this point. 

Paleo is a good baseline, but be careful about cruciferous veggies (broccoli) and a few others that are possible inflammation triggers. 

Raw milk and grass fed meat and butter are easy ways to get the right building blocks to rebuild joints.  Not cheap, but probably cheaper than supplements and way more enjoyable.

DrJohn:
My Wife had a frozen shoulder.  Took 2 years to fully recover, with PT, exercise, and Chiropractic care the WHOLE time.

MrGibTN:
Hello artephius - I feel your pain!  Dealt with a severely frozen right shoulder for a solid 10+ months or so about a year ago.  At first I didn't know what was up...then thought it was just effects of middle age (that was depressing)...before figuring out it was frozen.   Got so bad that the pain/inflammation extended down into my arm into my hand - I literally could not twist open a soda bottle without nearly being in tears not to mention the immense pain when shaking someone's hand.  I got down to only about 10% of my normal grip strength and shoulder mobility.  In my case I think it was largely brought on by a job that had me working at a desk with poor ergonomics and reaching over all day to use the mouse/keyboard.

Like a lot of guys I hid it really well and winced through things until the point where I finally went to my wife for help.  Ironically my wife is an extremely talented fitness trainer with a host of certification and specialties.  Turns out she was able to fix the problem over the course of a couple months using Trigger Point Therapy.  I would highly encourage you, or really anyone with tough muscle issues to use your GoogleFu to research Trigger Point Therapy.  This is probably a lot of what your massage therapist was doing to help treat.  I'm back to 100% now - Thank God.

At the risk of putting in a shameless plug - my wife has great free blog with a wealth of information on both Trigger Points as well tons of free, body weight based resistance and interval training plans to help you get back in shape.  She'd use a much more technical description but I'm just her schlub husband so I'll just pass along the links - First one is specifically on frozen joints with links to Trigger Point resources, second is just her main page.

http://veryeffective.blogspot.com/2015/07/musclejoint-pain.html
http://www.veryeffective.blogspot.com/

Mods - feel free to delete if this is inappropriate.  We're in TN and there's nothing for sale on her site - just a great fitness blog with about 4 years of daily posts and exercise stuff that would appeal to us TSP'ers.

artephius:
MrGibTN, Thanks for the link. That looks like a very informative blog and it sounds like your wife definitely knows what she's doing.

I had to go massage therapist hunting for nearly a year before I finally found one that knew what to do. He also turned me on to Claire Davies and his trigger point therapy books - the ones referenced on your wife's blog. Great stuff! The guy that helped me was very knowledgeable and was able to explain to me what doctors would have done had I gone to them... (cutting, removing of vital body parts, etc). Thank god I didn't go that route when trigger point therapy is so effective.

Out of curiosity, did your wife have you on some sort of recooperation/recovery workout routine to help with the shoulder specifically without triggering a muscle "relapse"? That's my biggest problem, whenever I do anything to try to strengthen again (even taking it slow with 2lb dumbells) all the muscles tense back up again and stay that way until I hit the trigger points perfectly -- which for me is easier said than done.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version