Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Martial Arts, Unarmed Self Defense, Hand To Hand Combat, and Physical Fitness

Anyone else dealt with a frozen shoulder?

(1/7) > >>

artephius:
Hi all,

I was curious if anyone else out there has been through the wonderful experience of having a frozen shoulder and trying to get back in shape afterwards...

I used to have a fairly physically demanding job (construction), nothing extreme, but it kept me in fairly good shape over the years until my shoulder gave out. I got to the point where I was so sore and miserable all the time I stopped doing anything physical completely except the bare minimum to get by at work and pretty much turned into a "Joe six-pack" for a couple years.

I got so weak from all this that I through out my back picking up an effing 50lb jack hammer which led to another month of so of laying around doing nothing losing even more strength.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get back in shape and while my shoulder isn't frozen anymore (I found a great massage therapist that knew how to fix it 90% and the remaining 10% should theoretically be solved through re-strengthening) I still struggle desperately with getting back into the swing of working out regularly and it seems like everything I do tends to aggravate the shoulder -- which leads to less working out.

I'd love to get some insight from anyone who has been through this or other shoulder injuries and managed to turn it around. I think shoulders have got to be one of the worst things you can injure, I never realized how crucial shoulder health is to every aspect of life until I had a useless one...

Any tips or workout suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Carl:
Swimming...or going through the motions with water resistance if no deep pools,ponds,or swamps are available.
A hot pad can also aide circulation and healing.When I was a truck driver ,nothing better than 20 minutes in a pool after work.

artephius:
Yeah I LOVE swimming, but I can't stand to be soaked in chlorine like that. I really need to find a place that uses salts or something instead. Maybe I'll see if I can snag one of those cheap above ground pools from walmart this year when they go on sale before winter... I've been looking for an excuse to buy one of those for a couple years now

r_w:
DIET! Specifically, an anti inflammatory diet. And a few high quality supplements for rebuilding nerve, cartilage and muscle.

Once I got my inflammation down the arthritis like pain went away and I could move again and begin rebuilding.

For me that meant gluten free, grain free for a few months.  Still means no processed sugar.  Raw milk, not pasteurized. And grass fed meat only. 

It takes TIME.  Most people give up too soon. 

Carl:

--- Quote from: r_w on August 06, 2015, 06:39:04 AM ---DIET! Specifically, an anti inflammatory diet. And a few high quality supplements for rebuilding nerve, cartilage and muscle.

Once I got my inflammation down the arthritis like pain went away and I could move again and begin rebuilding.

For me that meant gluten free, grain free for a few months.  Still means no processed sugar.  Raw milk, not pasteurized. And grass fed meat only. 

It takes TIME.  Most people give up too soon.

--- End quote ---

This could be important though I ,due to diabetes ,also avoid all breads,grains,processed or not...more or less a PALEO diet..
Good advice!

And as it is upper body ,about all you need is one of the 3 foot or deeper bladder type pools as arm and upper body motion are your biggest need though legs can also work fine that shallow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version