Author Topic: Storing unleaded gas.  (Read 5930 times)

Offline dasilvabydesign

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Storing unleaded gas.
« on: March 08, 2017, 10:45:52 AM »
I have about 15 gallons of gas that I am not sure how old it is. Could be over a year old. Does not have stabilizer. They have been stored in brand new gas cans, in an unheated garage.

Would you use it in your vehicle?

If not, what would you do with it?

Sorry if been asked before, I couldn't find it.

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Storing unleaded gas.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 10:50:12 AM »
Personally, I would wait until my truck (because it has a larger tank than my car) is ready to be filled. I would take a can of the older gas with me to the gas station. When I arrive, I would pour 3-5 gallons of the older gas into my tank. Then top off the trucks tank like normal. Then I would fill the empty gas can and write the date on it.

I would do this everytime my truck needed gas until all the old fuel was used up. Then I would make sure to rotate the fuel, starting with the oldest can first. You already have the fuel, so it will cost you nothing to keep the 15 gallons stored as backup if needed. But this way it makes sure to stay fresh and rotated at least once a year, minimum.

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 11:04:55 AM »
Personally, I would wait until my truck (because it has a larger tank than my car) is ready to be filled. I would take a can of the older gas with me to the gas station. When I arrive, I would pour 3-5 gallons of the older gas into my tank. Then top off the trucks tank like normal. Then I would fill the empty gas can and write the date on it.

I would do this everytime my truck needed gas until all the old fuel was used up. Then I would make sure to rotate the fuel, starting with the oldest can first. You already have the fuel, so it will cost you nothing to keep the 15 gallons stored as backup if needed. But this way it makes sure to stay fresh and rotated at least once a year, minimum.

Just did that very thing, worked just fine fine.

Offline dasilvabydesign

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 11:15:30 AM »
Thank you and makes good sense. And this time I will date them. :D

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 12:23:13 PM »
  As it was in a non controlled environment ,I advise caution to the chance for condensation in the bottom as old gas is usually OK,if it still smells like gas,but water is never a good additive.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 12:45:21 PM »
I'm looking at a similar problem -- about 7 gal of gas that's been sitting in my inoperable Ford 8N tractor for a few years.  It did have stabilizer in it, long ago.  Has plenty of water and rust too, no doubt.  I don't want to put it in any engine that I care about!  Any disposal suggestions that won't bring the fire department here?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 01:43:48 PM »
I'm looking at a similar problem -- about 7 gal of gas that's been sitting in my inoperable Ford 8N tractor for a few years.  It did have stabilizer in it, long ago.  Has plenty of water and rust too, no doubt.  I don't want to put it in any engine that I care about!  Any disposal suggestions that won't bring the fire department here?

Sell the tractor. :spit:

I would siphon or drain the tank into an old 5 gallon paint can or petroleum bucket and take it to the local hazmat dump site.I would not
want to just dump it as oil and gas are tough on the water table. An open container and a warm day should allow most of it to evaporate
from a reasonable sized tub.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 03:43:53 PM »
Sell the tractor. :spit:

Har har.  Actually, I've got a guy who wants to buy it, but only if it's running.  I've got a shiny new carburetor to replace the rusty mess that's there now.

...An open container and a warm day should allow most of it to evaporate from a reasonable sized tub.

This is probably what I'll have to do, maybe in small batches for safety.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 04:04:47 PM »

7 gallons is a lot, but I mix old gas with used oil and use the oil/gas mix for fire starter.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 04:44:31 PM »
7 gallons is a lot, but I mix old gas with used oil and use the oil/gas mix for fire starter.

what mixture?

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 05:31:18 PM »
what mixture?

Never measure but it doesn't take much oil to knock down the volatility of the gas.

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 10:13:16 AM »

This was going to be my advise as I do the same thing. Probably 80/20 oil to gas.

But I also wouldn't be beyond using a filter like this: http://amzn.to/2njaHhn to remove the water and debris and then run it in an older engine.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 11:00:01 AM »

Would adding some dry gas also help possibly ?

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 11:32:20 AM »
But I also wouldn't be beyond using a filter like this: http://amzn.to/2njaHhn to remove the water and debris and then run it in an older engine.

Ah, nice to know that exists.  Thanks!

I may already have some in the tank, can't remember.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 12:43:01 PM »
This was going to be my advise as I do the same thing. Probably 80/20 oil to gas.

oh nice.... i should get one of those.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 12:43:15 PM »

thx

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 10:09:23 AM »

Dry gas may help. But dry gas is simply ethanol. Most pump gas already has up to 15% ethanol in it. Ethanol will absorb water microscopically. And allow your engine to burn it all while reducing the power produced and increasing the amount of fuel you burn. Dry gas helped out more when no ethanol was in fuel. But now that almost all fuel has ethanol in it already, dry gas isn't really going to help much.

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 11:28:48 AM »
If at all possible try to find ethanol free gas to store.
http://www.pure-gas.org/