Author Topic: How to chnage a NATO Jerry Can Gasket?  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
How to chnage a NATO Jerry Can Gasket?
« on: March 18, 2017, 04:43:43 PM »
I have already removed the old one, but I have a single replacement only, so I don;t was to mess this.
Is there a specific way to install the new one?

Also, while googling for this query, I found someone telling that the original seal is not good for gasoline but it is for diesel only.
He said that one needs to change it will a different material one. huh?

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
Re: How to chnage a NATO Jerry Can Gasket?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 03:06:06 PM »
Lots of people have said that the original gaskets are no good for gasoline. My guess is that the rubber compound isn't able to tolerate the ethanol in today's gas. It wouldn't surprise me if that were true as many older rubber fuel lines, gaskets, etc. on older engines rapidly deteriorate when exposed to gas with ethanol in it.

I have seen new gaskets available of different material that is supposedly rated for ethanol. They're not that expensive. https://www.amazon.com/Jerry-Can-Gaskets-Pack-Replacement/dp/B01EYXVU70

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: How to chnage a NATO Jerry Can Gasket?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 02:44:29 AM »
Update...
The 20lit can had about half a glass of something like a gasoline in it. Still after all those years. gasket is unharmed, so I am good to go.

The 1lit one has a smaller spouts and the gasket I got was for the larger can. I had to cut it down, but now I know that 99% is gasoline proof.

As it usually happens, you half destruct the thing you disassemble for the first time. The older 10lit can gasket is now torn a bit. Else i would turn it around and reuse it. Before I install the replacement gasket I pull the lips that hold it up a bit. made it easier to put in. then I folded them back step by step with a locking pliers.

trivia: I have made a base for the two cans out of scrap 3x3cm dowels. and a cover from a carton box. People vist my garage/workshop and I do not want them to know.