Author Topic: Hybrid Mustang?  (Read 3498 times)

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
Hybrid Mustang?
« on: February 03, 2017, 10:52:47 AM »
Ford plans to release a hybrid Mustang.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a32129/ford-mustang-hybrid/

Now you might be thinking that adding hundreds of pounds of batteries and an electric motor hurt the performance of a sports car. You might think that a Mustang consumer likes to hear the engine roar. You might think that a muscle car owner doesn't worry about city MPGs. You might think that Ford is taking a big dump on an iconic brand (as they are want to do every few years).

To you I say 'get with the times, Mr. Man.'  ;)

Of course the engineers at Chevy and Dodge might be doing cartwheels...

nkawtg

Re: Hybrid Mustang?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 10:59:15 AM »
Adding electrics shouldn't equal "bad".
Look at some supercars which have gone hybrid.
Ferrari LaFerrari
Porsche 918 Spyder
McLaren P1
Audi R8 e-tron
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG E-Cell Roadster
Adding an electric motor and batteries certainly hasn't hurt these cars performance any.
They still have big engine, they're just coupled with electric motors, which has the byproduct of adding instant torque which equates to neck snapping acceleration.

I would think Chevy would be worried, not doing cartwheels.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 02:48:40 PM »
I think hybrid is a great concept, it just has not been achieved very well yet.  I mean, railroad engines are diesel-electric as well as some submarines so definitely has possibilities!  Electric has great starting torque. The main issue has been cruising range.  Most hybrids have a lot of batteries and small gas tank.  The Mustang won't have much room for motors, tank and batteries for long range driving.  But if you use it for looking cool on the daily commute and at stop lights then maybe so.  I do know some folks personally that have electrics just so they can claim environmental friendliness, more than for practical reasons.  How that might translate to a Mustang, I don't get.

So far hybrids are sized best for stop and go commuting or trips around town.  When traveling I've been issued some Prius rental cars and once you get above 15 mph it seems to run mostly on the gas engine.  If you baby it and aggravate every other driver you may get more electric motoring but for normal driving the electric only seems to kick in on starts.

I wonder why the hybrid has not been applied to larger vehicles with the load and space capacity for big fuel tanks, batteries and bigger motors. Seems like it would be good for urban/suburban delivery vans for instance. Perhaps just not enough ROI.

I just think that eventually  hybrids or hydrogen based engines will become way more practical.  For now, I enjoy my diesel truck.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 04:19:28 PM »
I'm not a big Mustang fan, though I will concede a 5.0L with a Flow Master exhaust is one THE most recognizable and classic sounds.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 05:38:34 PM »
  Chevy VOLT hybrid gets 53 electric miles or 420 miles on gasoline with estimated 1000 miles per gas/electric before gas fillup.
And can recharge in 13 hours from 120 volts or under 5 hours with 240 volt charger....or charges off gasoline engine and regenerative braking.

http://www.chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car.html

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 06:06:15 PM »
The very idea makes Eric Peters' teeth hurt:
http://ericpetersautos.com/2017/01/14/electric-mustang-makes-teeth-hurt/
And I agree.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 06:11:39 PM »
The very idea makes Eric Peters' teeth hurt:
http://ericpetersautos.com/2017/01/14/electric-mustang-makes-teeth-hurt/
And I agree.

At least Eric Teeth has nothing hurting  ::)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 06:17:25 PM »
At least Eric Teeth has nothing hurting  ::)
Ouch!  That hurts more than a 4-cylinder Mustang II.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 07:38:56 PM »
I don't know if I'll be a hybrid Mustang fan or not.  I'm not one that likes the loud cars.  Back in high school, my favorite cars were things like the Lotus Esprit.  I loved that it had a 2.2 liter and pumped out 0-60 times of about 5 seconds.  While the Mustang 5.0 was in the 6 second range.  I just liked when a car used tech to do its thing.

So for me it comes down to what they do with that electric motor.

However, I have a friend that would never consider anything but a V-8.