Author Topic: Surplus Humvee - Anybody try one?  (Read 15012 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: Surplus Humvee - Anybody try one?
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2016, 05:26:51 PM »
I would think that not too many designers plan to fail.

I have observed some cultural influence from the country of origin when it comes to engineering.  I work closely with German software teams, and they get very frustrated when I ask them for disaster recovery or resiliency plans.  Their answers are often "that won't fail"  or "that's outside of our control".  That all said, their stuff is often exceptionally well thought out - but this can give some false confidence that I mentioned.  Other cultures are more humble and are willing to prepare for a bad day.  Traditionally the Japanese would view an engineering failure as a dishonor.  I think that motivated some of their design and testing practices in the late 20th century. 

I can't guess where Chrysler would fall on that spectrum.

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2016, 05:53:08 PM »
I have observed some cultural influence from the country of origin when it comes to engineering.  I work closely with German software teams, and they get very frustrated when I ask them for disaster recovery or resiliency plans.  Their answers are often "that won't fail"  or "that's outside of our control".  That all said, their stuff is often exceptionally well thought out - but this can give some false confidence that I mentioned.  Other cultures are more humble and are willing to prepare for a bad day.  Traditionally the Japanese would view an engineering failure as a dishonor.  I think that motivated some of their design and testing practices in the late 20th century. 

I can't guess where Chrysler would fall on that spectrum.

My dad (previously chrysler mechanic) said there were a lot of parts that to him seemed like they were designed to fail.  His though process was that they engineered work for the dealerships.  He also drives a Chevy and suggested as a mechanic you work for the company that breaks the most, not the one that is most reliable. 

Offline TNVolunteer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ad Vitam Paramus
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2016, 10:29:13 AM »
You guys are so far beyond me in terms of automotive knowledge.....

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2016, 10:44:11 AM »
You guys are so far beyond me in terms of automotive knowledge.....

Haha - thanks, but I'm a computer programmer, not a mechanic. 

Sorry if we trashed your thread.  I think if you had the ability to make rather radical modifications to a milsurp vehicle, there may be interesting projects.
But "out of the box" the consensus is it's not a better value than many civilian options for 4x4 or daily driver use.

There's probably a parallel thread about deer rifles.  You *could* get a mosin nagant, clean it up, figure out how to mount a scope - OR get an entry level Savage that's ready to go for < $100 more.  If you really like the "cool" factor of something old or military, that's a different reason.

Offline TNVolunteer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ad Vitam Paramus
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2016, 10:48:03 AM »
Nah, the thread isn't trashed, in fact I learned a good bit, and sharing knowledge is a good thing.

LOL, on the rifle thing.  You've got that right.

TNV