Author Topic: thoughts on buying a car ..  (Read 13193 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: thoughts on buying a car ..
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2017, 02:09:55 PM »
I noticed when I was on cargurus.com a particular car say 2011 rav4 would say 25 mpg city, but when I googled "2011 rav4 mpg" it would often come up with a different number such as 30 mpg city. I know mpg may vary, but that's a fair bit of difference .. Is there any source considered more accurate ?

I can change tires on any given car and remove 5 mpg immediately.  There are MANY factors.  I would use EPA figures only as a guideline for new models.

However, big wide sticky performance tires might get worse mileage, but they improve handling and shorten braking distance.  You can't have it all.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 05:53:44 PM »
 So I bought this 2009 Toyota Rav4 with 69,000 miles for $10,500. They sold me a $2000 3 year warranty which I wish I had time to think about because I wasn't aware that they would do that, but so I bought the warranty .. I am picking the car up tomorrow .. My mechanic checked it out, it needs the transmission fluid changed but he said everything checked well and it's a good car. There's a couple of old histories on the computer of backfires, but he said it's likely to happen if it was sitting in a lot for awhile and not started often

I could have saved money all around by getting a cheaper hatchback with better gas mileage but I couldn't seem to give up the idea of the Rav4 even though I went back and forth a few times. The Rav4 gets around 27 or 28 mpg on the highway and maybe 22 mpg city.

I am already thinking about looking into buying a truck slide in camper for my truck which is more money but I will have to see how my contract work goes. The whole purpose of the car was to put less millage on my truck and save the truck for other purposes

My friend has a 2010 Honda Accord. She paid around $12000 for it 3 years ago when it had around 180k miles on it. Some woman wrecked her old car in an accident. I found her a 2002 Honda Accord on the internet that has around 75k miles on it for $6000 though I think the book value is only around $4000. She is not sure how she could get another car when she owes a good chunk of change to the bank on her current car and the car she wants is not that expensive but the guy at the dealership says sometimes they do various deals

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2017, 09:03:14 PM »
A friend recently wanted a high MPG commuter instead of driving his diesel truck every day.  He is a pretty good mechanical guy and found a early 2000s Jetta turbo diesel that had a "ruined" engine and fair body.  Turns out the timing belt had broken and damaged the engine.  He bought it for $1,800 thinking it might not be too much work.  Fortunately it just need a few valves replaced to be drivable (about $600 parts and some machining).  He now gets 44mpg commuting 25 highway miles each way (he also straight piped it, and better air intake/filtration, different tires).

I don't have that mechanical knowledge so would never had taken the risk.  But I was sure impressed what a good deal he made using his experience under the hood of many cars as a teenager (dirt track racing).

Offline Jon Z

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2017, 08:31:41 PM »
A friend recently wanted a high MPG commuter instead of driving his diesel truck every day.  He is a pretty good mechanical guy and found a early 2000s Jetta turbo diesel that had a "ruined" engine and fair body.  Turns out the timing belt had broken and damaged the engine.  He bought it for $1,800 thinking it might not be too much work.  Fortunately it just need a few valves replaced to be drivable (about $600 parts and some machining).  He now gets 44mpg commuting 25 highway miles each way (he also straight piped it, and better air intake/filtration, different tires).

I don't have that mechanical knowledge so would never had taken the risk.  But I was sure impressed what a good deal he made using his experience under the hood of many cars as a teenager (dirt track racing).

I wouldn't have taken the risk either.   I have owned several VW TDI's and work on them all. They are a great car and My favorite is the 1999-2003 vw Jetta, Golf and Beetle platform. the engine during those years is about bomb proof except for the timing belt.  The 01M automatic transmission in those years suck and the dual mass flywheel I has some issues with but the cars handle great and the engine is simple and reliable.    That being said.
The instructions for replacing valve springs in the tdi requires the cylinder at Top dead center aka the valve rests on the cylinder top.
equivalent gasoline/ petrol engines require the cylinder to be charged with air to hold the valves in place. 
So the point is the tolerance is close. So for me I wouldn't jump into a TDI that broke a belt but I might just be unadventurous when it comes to that.