Author Topic: Dash Cam  (Read 20407 times)

Offline Corncob

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Dash Cam
« on: April 28, 2016, 09:45:47 PM »
i'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but did Jack ever decide on a recommendation for a good dash cam? i'm a few episodes behind so the last i heard he was still mulling it over. if he hasn't made one yet, does anyone here have any good recommendations?

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
Re: Dash Cam
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 10:10:24 PM »
I'm in the same boat and have been looking at them for both of my vehicles. I've been recommended to go to https://dashcamtalk.com/ and start there but have not had the time (or funds) to really look into yet.

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 12:36:14 PM »
One of the best youtube channels on this subject. https://www.youtube.com/user/Techmoan/search?query=dashcam

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 01:18:46 PM »
I've had the Spy Tec A118-C for about a year now. It's not the best out there but for $80, it does everything I need it to do. Setting it up was little bit of a pain. Has a shock sensor that will save video file if it detects crash.  Mine would save if I went over a pothole. You forget it's even there which is sort of the point. Here's a video of it during a drive home. Nothing exciting but shows off low lighting, which it's ok'ish at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFdgfEpfULU

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 02:03:49 PM »
Nice tunes. Looks like a decent camera for the price. I know there are some options that have a second camera that takes rear video as well. I'm really interested in those as well.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 03:39:40 PM »
I thought about those. I just bought 2. Set one up in the back.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 05:40:47 PM »
What was your reasoning for buying two separate units as opposed to one integrated unit?

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 04:21:08 AM »
Mostly cost. Plus I have two SD cards instead of one. If one goes bad you still have the other.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 08:52:52 AM »
Good points, and I hadn't thought about hang multiple sd cards. How do you get power to the rear? Are these units battery operated?

Offline Going Galt

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 11:38:41 AM »
Over a year ago, I had bought this cheap one on Amazon called "black box" for like $40... anyone searching for these quickly comes across this one at the top of the list of what to consider.  It "worked" but not for long... despite not keeping it in the window when not in use (to protect it from heat/cold), and not even using it much, it was dead in 3 months.  When it worked, it felt very cheap and had a poor interface. And, listening to the radio was impossible when this device was plugged in... it generated some major interference that made AM unlistenable and also harmed FM.  Plus, I did not care for the suction cup mechanism and having to fuss with that, and having this dangling big thing off of the windshield.

Yesterday, my new one arrived... it is called a Rexing, for $100.

http://www.amazon.com/Rexing-Dashboard-Recorder-G-Sensor-Recording/dp/B00X528FNE?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

So far, so good.  I like it's low profile design, held tightly against the windshield by 3M double sided tape and this mechanism that lets it slide on and off it easily.  I put it just to the above/left side of the rear view mirror so it is out of the way.  I'm trying to figure out a good way to thread the wire along the window edge and back down to the outlet.  The interface seems good.  And, video quality. And, no radio interference.  Only time will tell how long it'll last. I'm planning on removing it each time I'm leaving the truck sitting there on a potentially hot day... I just don't trust these to survive getting heated up to perhaps near 200F, although the manual claims it can be "stored" up to 160F.

Offline Corncob

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 02:46:43 PM »
the Rexing and Spy tec seem to be pretty much clones of eachother at least in looks. the only thing i don't think i like about these two models is, while the camera lens is adjustable up and down, the camera can't be turned in order to point it towards a window instead of out the windshield or rear window. I'm primarily thinking of cases such as LEO contact or any type of road rage contact that might happen. i know those two cameras would pick up the audio from the interaction, but i'd prefer to have the picture to.

Offline Going Galt

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 03:09:35 PM »
the Rexing and Spy tec seem to be pretty much clones of eachother at least in looks. the only thing i don't think i like about these two models is, while the camera lens is adjustable up and down, the camera can't be turned in order to point it towards a window instead of out the windshield or rear window. I'm primarily thinking of cases such as LEO contact or any type of road rage contact that might happen. i know those two cameras would pick up the audio from the interaction, but i'd prefer to have the picture to.

Yup, that's the one thing I was hesitant about this for.  The crappy "black box" one I used to have could at least be turned, assuming it didn't fall off the window when I did so.  It's probably not a huge deal for me though... it's not as if I'm driving around attempting to get pulled over so I can make a not-very-interesting cop block video to post on youtube.  If I get the cop audio as the camera faces forward, that's still something. If I really felt the need to, I can start up Bambuser on my phone.  Still, the best would be if I could also get side views.

Speaking of side views, there's one called the v360 that takes a 360 degree video by pointing the camera at a cone-shaped mirror.  I was curious about that, although I think I would have had to mount it with sticky tape in the center of the dash board, which doesn't seem too appealing.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 03:26:59 PM »
The power cord is fairly long, you can route it to a 12v adapter. I hard wired both mine in though. Only have one charger port and need that one for my phone.

Offline 1greenman

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • The Healthy Family Variety Channel
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 03:59:48 PM »
We have a fair amount of traveling ahead of us.....so I need to look into one of these again. 

I think about them everytime Living Social or eBay have them on sale.  But I am always afraid these are super cheap version, so I always decided against.

Offline BriGy86

• Senior Survivalist
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 07:57:26 PM »
I'm also looking into getting one after seeing things like this...
http://abc7ny.com/news/man-who-accused-officer-of-brake-checking-appears-in-court/1384478/#videoplayer

I found this but I'm not sure about the brands.
http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/category/favorites/

Offline BriGy86

• Senior Survivalist
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 08:13:46 PM »
I may have found one.  They have a model thats 100 bucks and has many more good reviews than other brands.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MCWZ0QI/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

The mirror camera looks interesting.  It's 200 but looks like it velcro's over your existing mirror.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 08:12:16 AM »
I like this guys youtube page. Here's is top 5 cams video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NVi2jmXyvs

Offline Bad_apple

• Prepper
  • Real Macgyver
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 11:00:23 PM »
We have been installing these for clients with rvs. Used as dash cams they have a super wide angle and we use 256gb as cards for recording which gets PLENTY of recording time and great picture.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TXRLVN6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468299533&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=4k+dash+cam+256gb

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2016, 08:27:40 AM »
Anyway to wire that directly to car power or is it battery only?

Offline Bad_apple

• Prepper
  • Real Macgyver
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2016, 10:37:49 PM »
It come with a micro usb style charger that we typically wire to an ignition feed.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2016, 11:05:22 PM »
It come with a micro usb style charger that we typically wire to an ignition feed.

Good to know. I will eventually get a couple for my cars and want to have direct power so I don't have to worry about batteries or power plugs.

Offline Bad_apple

• Prepper
  • Real Macgyver
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 11:14:50 PM »
Yeah. These days they are good to have. Never know what can happen on the road. Plus these are nice. Wired to ignition it automatically turns on and records when you start the car. And because it has a battery when you key off it doesn't just cut off. It starts a 30 second shut down sequence before automatically powering off. 

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2016, 02:13:13 PM »
Any more updates on this? I'm in the market for several of these. So far my little bit of research indicates that many of the cheaper units have a li-ion battery, which frequently fails/ruptures due to excess heat and ruins the unit. Better cams have a couple of capacitors that power the unit just long enough for it to do a proper shutdown after the power source turns off.

I'm looking pretty hard at the Viofo A119S, which is an improved version of the 118 someone mentioned earlier. https://www.carcamcentral.com/review/viofo-a119-review It'd be nice if a company would bring out a "dash cam" with a single "main" control box and capability to connect four independently mounted camera lenses. Way less wiring to record all four sides of the vehicle.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2016, 06:10:30 PM »

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2016, 08:05:28 PM »
I upgraded to the A119 about a month ago. My front A118 got cracked when I was using it in a rental. Night time is much clearer. Never realized how much I got used to having one. That week I waiting for the new one to ship I was driving on egg shells thinking someone was going to back into me at every light.  ;D

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2017, 12:05:45 PM »
After my accident earlier this month I'm back in this thread. Is this the model you got, Chris?

https://www.amazon.com/Spy-Tec-A119-1440p-Camera/dp/B01HMZVYLY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486062229&sr=8-2&keywords=A119+dash+cam

Did you mount it your dash or window? It looks like you could do either with it.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2017, 06:41:54 PM »
Yea that's the one. I attached it to the windshield to the right of rear view mirror. I don't even realize it's there half the time. If it was on the dash I would have to route the power cable along the dash. I tuck it under the headliner now so it's out of the way. I would look into buying a polarizing filter for it also if you have trouble with reflections. Mine weren't too bad but the lens made a bit of difference.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:47:31 PM by ChrisFox »

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2017, 11:07:46 AM »
OK. Do you leave it up there all the time? My concern is the 115 degree summers we have here and leaving it in a ~140 degree car all day.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2017, 08:55:45 PM »
I'm in Galveston and have had it for 3 years. In the car 24/7. That's why I got the one with a capacitor instead of a battery. All of the reviews said don't get the battery powered one in hot weather. Only problem I've had is sd card in older unit went on the blitz. I do have a sun shade for the windshield now, I'm sure it does help.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2017, 08:18:44 PM »
OK. Do you leave it up there all the time? My concern is the 115 degree summers we have here and leaving it in a ~140 degree car all day.

If you buy a dash cam with a battery, the battery is going to fail from that kind of heat. If you buy one with a capacitor(or swap the battery for a cap yourself), it will have to be hardwired for power.  Some of the dash cam mounts use adhesive, so they're pretty much permanent, although some will detach from the "base mount". The upside to these seems to be that they are more secure and the footage seems to be better(at least based on videos I've seen).

Everything that I've read and watched on the subject seems to agree that if you buy a high quality capacitor based camera, it will survive just fine.