Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Processing Food For Storage

Fermenting vegetables using the yogurt setting in the Instant Pot

(1/5) > >>

Carver:
Why not? This time of year it is difficult to maintain a consistent temperature for fermentation anywhere in the house. After watching instructions on making wine in the instant pot with the yogurt setting, why not sauerkraut and other vegetables. I searched and cannot find anyone who has done this, so I guess it is up to me. Going to start with cabbage and salt and go for 48 hours on the yogurt setting.

Morning Sunshine:

--- Quote from: Carver on April 20, 2020, 08:38:00 AM ---Why not? This time of year it is difficult to maintain a consistent temperature for fermentation anywhere in the house. After watching instructions on making wine in the instant pot with the yogurt setting, why not sauerkraut and other vegetables. I searched and cannot find anyone who has done this, so I guess it is up to me. Going to start with cabbage and salt and go for 48 hours on the yogurt setting.

--- End quote ---

:o :jaw-drop: :crazy: :stop: :-X :-\ :popcorn:

that about describes my reaction to your suggestion.  I will be curious as to your results.

theBINKYhunter:
This is interesting and I'd love to hear your results. We got an instapot a couple months ago and I'd love to be able to make sauerkraut. I'm going to have to look up the wine making as well because that could be a fun experiment to try out.

LvsChant:
I guess I was thinking that sauerkraut-making did better during the colder times of the year, as too much heat can cause problems? So, I'll be waiting to see how it works out for you...

Carver:

--- Quote from: LvsChant on April 21, 2020, 04:10:26 PM ---I guess I was thinking that sauerkraut-making did better during the colder times of the year, as too much heat can cause problems? So, I'll be waiting to see how it works out for you...

--- End quote ---
I have read that it needs to be at a higher temperature than what we keep our room temperature. My thinking is that the yogurt setting is not too high to destroy beneficial bacteria. I have had too many batches just sit and do nothing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version