Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Food Storage

Ramen for LT

<< < (10/10)

David in MN:
It's used all over the place. Olives, Bavarian pretzels, and hominy spring to mind. Smart for home use? Maybe. Depends on your chemical safety tolerance. I mean, where would we be without Lutafisk?

As a guy who uses lye to make soap it's perfectly safe if handled smart. You need skin and eye protection. You don't do it around kids or pets. You do it under ventilation or outside. You add lye to the water, NEVER THE OTHER WAY AROUND. Things like that. I have a high tolerance from years in the food industry working with some gnarly chemicals.

Bottom line is that it's not unusual. Its use depends more on one's comfort in using it.

Redman:

--- Quote from: David in MN on February 10, 2019, 07:20:36 AM ---It's used all over the place. Olives, Bavarian pretzels, and hominy spring to mind. Smart for home use? Maybe. Depends on your chemical safety tolerance. I mean, where would we be without Lutafisk?

As a guy who uses lye to make soap it's perfectly safe if handled smart. You need skin and eye protection. You don't do it around kids or pets. You do it under ventilation or outside. You add lye to the water, NEVER THE OTHER WAY AROUND. Things like that. I have a high tolerance from years in the food industry working with some gnarly chemicals.

Bottom line is that it's not unusual. Its use depends more on one's comfort in using it.

--- End quote ---

Ah yes, I had forgetten about olives, pretzels and hominy. As for lutafisk, I've never eaten it. Actually sometime back on another forum there was some discussion about using lye for pretzels. I never did make the pretzels nor did the other folks.

Hurricane may be correct about washing soda not being suitable for food use. Could have harmful, more harmful impurities in it, :eyebrow:

I may give the noodles a try one day.

One more thing. I could point you to a forum where a whole bunch of people go off the deep end just at the mention of hominy. But they like corn tortillas and corn prepared other way. I believe the nixtamalization of the corn for tortillas used lye, limewater or and alkaline solution.

I have fun with those folks.  :rofl:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version