Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Processing Food For Storage

Lets talk about salt storage

(1/13) > >>

Stwood:
These .50 cardboard containers of salt, how do you store them for long term, if you do?

And, do you buy the long term prepared cans of salt?

Redman:
I buy those 4lb. boxes of Morton canning and pickling salt. I use it for everything, I don't buy iodized salt. The salt does clump up in the box. I just rap it with the side of a fist or a rolling pin to loosen it. Using it for canning or other cooking and table use we use it fairly quickly.

Haven't run across long term prepared salt.

David in MN:
Dude, it's salt. In 10,000 years it will be salt. I buy (keep on hand) 5 lb containers of Himilayan pink sea salt from Costco because it tastes good and is unbelievably cheap. I also keep Morton Kosher salt for salting meat and cleaning my cast iron pans. I also keep a 10 lb block of pink sea salt which I use as a platter to serve things like cheese (because I'm a fancy boy).

I don't really worry about salt because at any given moment I have 30 lbs of it on hand plus 100 lbs bagged up for the water softener (if I got real desperate). If things got sketchy salt would be a low priority.

I do know from working in the industry that storing salt in a very humid place can lead to it clumping bad. It doesn't change in quality it just kind of sucks to work with.

Stwood:
Thats the whole point of my post David. Keeping the moisture out.
I don't water to store water in my salt containers.

Redman:

--- Quote from: Stwood on September 21, 2018, 09:56:45 AM ---Thats the whole point of my post David. Keeping the moisture out.
I don't water to store water in my salt containers.

--- End quote ---

You'd likely have to seal it in bags with a dessicant seems. I have about 70 lbs. of sugar in two 5 gallon buckets w/gamma seal lids. It still clumps, not as quickly as it does sitting on the shelf in the original bag but.......

I got to check out that pink salt at Costco and I've been checking out those salt blocks periodically on Amazon. I want one, not in the budget.

Checked those 5 Lb. jars, $2.70/lb. Found this $1.58/lb. 12 lb. container.

https://www.costco.com/Olde-Thompson-Himalayan-Pink-Salt%2c-192-oz..product.100358395.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version