Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Food Storage Resources

Taking care of your mason jars

<< < (3/3)

Stwood:
Yes, and on the lids. The used lids are usually marked with the previous contents.
I remove the magic marker markings with lacquer thinner, then just strike a black mark across the lid, thus identifying as a used lid.
Most lids that have been used, you can readily tell. Some not so much, like a lid that has been used for vacuum sealing.

I try and use used lids to put on clean jars for storage. I can't always, so then I put new lids on. And I leave the band a little loose.

And band pressure. I've had new jars come in that the band was way to tight, and had the seal on the lid compressed. So I always ck new jars when I get them.

Redman:

--- Quote from: Stwood on September 07, 2018, 10:28:31 AM ---Yes, and on the lids. The used lids are usually marked with the previous contents.
I remove the magic marker markings with lacquer thinner, then just strike a black mark across the lid, thus identifying as a used lid.
Most lids that have been used, you can readily tell. Some not so much, like a lid that has been used for vacuum sealing.

I try and use used lids to put on clean jars for storage. I can't always, so then I put new lids on. And I leave the band a little loose.

And band pressure. I've had new jars come in that the band was way to tight, and had the seal on the lid compressed. So I always ck new jars when I get them.

--- End quote ---

Fingernail polish remover (denatured acetone) will take off permanent marker. $1 bottle, lasts forever. I put new lids that show a little indentation from a tight lid in simmering water before using. Actually all lids new from jar or box I do that. Indentations come out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version