Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Processing Food For Storage

Kimchi Makers

<< < (4/4)

Stwood:
 ;D

OrchidBetty:
Any wide-mouth jar will do. (trust me, I'm Korean). BTW, the brown container in the pic looks like the fermented soybean paste. They also sell the red containers of chili paste. I highly recommend both to kick-up the flavor of your soups or any other dish. You haven't lived unless you've added a spoon full of red chili paste to your top ramen!

I would use the Ball or Kerr jars or even reuse a glass mayo jar. It's not an exact science. However, since you're making it from scratch, you may as well go large! Some people cut up the Chinese cabbage or daikon radish so it fits in the bottles. Expert-level is to leave the leaves whole but that can be messy when pulling it out of the jar to eat it.

Oh, and cover the jar opening with saran wrap before screwing the lid on. It will keep it from smelling up your fridge. Also, it may bubble up as it ferments...be forwarned.. it's all good.     

Redman:

--- Quote from: OrchidBetty on September 15, 2018, 03:54:15 AM ---Any wide-mouth jar will do. (trust me, I'm Korean). BTW, the brown container in the pic looks like the fermented soybean paste. They also sell the red containers of chili paste. I highly recommend both to kick-up the flavor of your soups or any other dish. You haven't lived unless you've added a spoon full of red chili paste to your top ramen!

I would use the Ball or Kerr jars or even reuse a glass mayo jar. It's not an exact science. However, since you're making it from scratch, you may as well go large! Some people cut up the Chinese cabbage or daikon radish so it fits in the bottles. Expert-level is to leave the leaves whole but that can be messy when pulling it out of the jar to eat it.

Oh, and cover the jar opening with saran wrap before screwing the lid on. It will keep it from smelling up your fridge. Also, it may bubble up as it ferments...be forwarned.. it's all good.   

--- End quote ---

Yes the brown container does look like the larger containers of bean paste but it is a fermentation container. I usually keep a jar of bean paste and chili paste in the frig and several cases of ramen noodles on the shelf. When I worked in a Korean owned machine shop my breakfast at work was always ramen and kimchi. Naturally there were multiple gallons of kimchi in the frigs around the shop.

Now as to containers to use  :facepalm: :banghead: I have several empty half gallon jars setting on the shelves here and plenty of plastic wrap.

When I buy kimchi I always take a plastic tub to put the jar in. Don't want it bubbling over onto the car floor. I don't mind the smell but don't want it in the car. Dang it now I need kimchi jjigae.  ;D

OrchidBetty:
I like your style!

Redman:
 :spit:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version