Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Food Storage

Jarden (Ball and Kerr) Quality Contol

(1/2) > >>

Redman:
Opened a 2 boxes of RM lids yesterday while canning beans. I usually look at the seal before putting a lid on a jar. From one box I found 3 lids that the sealing compound had not completely filled the needed area. Pretty sure the manufacture of these is a fairly high speed operation but I know there are devices to enable high speed inspection. On other occasions I have found unopened cases of jars with damage to the bands and lids. Whether caused by the seller or the manufacturer handling I don't know. All still had the original shrink wrap. On another occasion I found a box of RM quarts that was missing 1 lid, that jar had a band just no lid. It also had the original wrapping and warehousing stickers on it, not a restocked item.

I'm sure these items are made by the multiple thousands and as a former QC person that stuff happens and it gets to the customer. It's a bit disheartening but not life threatening.

LvsChant:
My husband has been reorganizing the storage of my empty canning jars and informed me today that he re-organized 30 cases of my empty jars today! This, of course, doesn't count those in use in the pantry... I think his point in mentioning this was that he thinks I have enough already... ha!

Stwood:

--- Quote from: Redman on April 23, 2018, 03:50:34 AM ---Opened a 2 boxes of RM lids yesterday while canning beans. I usually look at the seal before putting a lid on a jar. From one box I found 3 lids that the sealing compound had not completely filled the needed area. Pretty sure the manufacture of these is a fairly high speed operation but I know there are devices to enable high speed inspection. On other occasions I have found unopened cases of jars with damage to the bands and lids. Whether caused by the seller or the manufacturer handling I don't know. All still had the original shrink wrap. On another occasion I found a box of RM quarts that was missing 1 lid, that jar had a band just no lid. It also had the original wrapping and warehousing stickers on it, not a restocked item.

I'm sure these items are made by the multiple thousands and as a former QC person that stuff happens and it gets to the customer. It's a bit disheartening but not life threatening.

--- End quote ---

I've gotten a few that the band was dinged, dinged hard enough it bent the edge of the lid. I didn't use the lids.

Also what I've found, new jars in the package have the band on too tight for me. It has the sealing compound on the flat already compressed some. Now whether or not that really hurts the seal, I'm not sure.

Stwood:

--- Quote from: LvsChant on April 23, 2018, 11:08:43 PM ---My husband has been reorganizing the storage of my empty canning jars and informed me today that he re-organized 30 cases of my empty jars today! This, of course, doesn't count those in use in the pantry... I think his point in mentioning this was that he thinks I have enough already... ha!

--- End quote ---

Yea hahaha!! Tell him 30 ain't nuttin when times go south and yer over at the neighbors at midnight snitching tomatoes to can.  :rofl:

Redman:

--- Quote from: Stwood on May 03, 2018, 03:37:57 PM ---I've gotten a few that the band was dinged, dinged hard enough it bent the edge of the lid. I didn't use the lids.

Also what I've found, new jars in the package have the band on too tight for me. It has the sealing compound on the flat already compressed some. Now whether or not that really hurts the seal, I'm not sure.

--- End quote ---

I've seen a lot of damaged bands and a few damaged lid beneath them. Unknown where the damage happened. On the tight lids, I've had those also, used the lids and no problems so far.

Interesting side note, the last boxes of pints I got came from WM on sale. Not far and early in the morning. Put them in the house and shortly I could hear the lids pinging. Reckon the weather and my house were cooler that inside WM or something anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version