Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Food Storage

Augason Farms Dehydrated Diced Red and Green Bell Peppers

(1/4) > >>

Redman:
I bought a can of these a few months ago along with the potato shreds. To me the peppers have no taste when reconstituted and don't seem to add taste to a dish. They might add visual interest in some dishes though. I've used them in beans and the potato shreds. Oddly I think they are pretty good to eat as a dried veggie snack.

https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms-Dehydrated-Diced-Peppers/dp/B0096GW6ZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523711269&sr=8-1&keywords=augason%2Bfarms%2Bfreeze%2Bdried%2Bbell%2Bpepper&th=1

LvsChant:
Interesting... I have my own dehydrated peppers that I add to things and think they have a very good flavor... I tend to crumble them up into chili, etc.

mountainmoma:
I do home dehydrated peppers also, and they also have good flavor.

I dehydrate at low heat in the dehydrator, around 115'F, or by setting the food outside when it is hot. Maybe the commercially dehydrated is at a higher heat ? Or low quality produce ?  I hope it is just a fluke and it is normally better, as many of us have a can in LTS. I have one can of commercial dried peppers, as it will keep longer than mine, it is not Augason, mine is Emergency Essentials brand.

Redman:
Interesting, yes. Could be done at a higher heat. I've read that temps over 145* are detrimental to the vitamin content. Perhaps taste also. I've just started to dehydrate fruit and don't have any other experience with it. Read about the temps after I bought my very inexpensive Presto unit. Runs at a constant 165*. I've done bananas, pineapples and a papaya. All came out good as far as taste goes. Perhaps if bell peppers get cheap enough I've buy a bunch and dehydrate them for comparison.

mountainmoma:

--- Quote from: Redman on April 14, 2018, 09:46:31 AM ---Interesting, yes. Could be done at a higher heat. I've read that temps over 145* are detrimental to the vitamin content. Perhaps taste also. I've just started to dehydrate fruit and don't have any other experience with it. Read about the temps after I bought my very inexpensive Presto unit. Runs at a constant 165*. I've done bananas, pineapples and a papaya. All came out good as far as taste goes. Perhaps if bell peppers get cheap enough I've buy a bunch and dehydrate them for comparison.

--- End quote ---

keep your eyes open for a better unit, maybe a used one will turn up in your area. The high heat your unit runs at could effect nutrients, it is not just about taste.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version