Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Food Storage

WOW,No more bland survival food ...Augason Farms Blueberry Pancake Mix

<< < (6/7) > >>

Redman:

--- Quote from: LvsChant on April 13, 2018, 07:34:52 PM ---I buy the real stuff fairly often, but in between I do make my own imitation syrup. I think it is better and closer to the experience of real maple syrup than the nasty thick stuff from the store packed with HFCS.

2 c. sugar
1 c. boiling water

bring to boil and boil a few minutes until all the sugar is dissolved... stir in 1/2 - 1 tsp. maple flavoring. This isn't too thick and tastes fine, especially when hot. My boys are crazy about waffles, so we use a fair amount of it...

--- End quote ---

I'll have to try that. I like Steen's cane syrup. The stores price it like it's liquid gold, if you can find it. Well it is golden in color and the gold standard of cane syrups. Others I've tried are darker in color with a stronger almost bitter taste.

LvsChant:
Yes... store in the refrigerator... I like to use my old maple syrup glass bottles for this. Then it can be reheated in the microwave very easily.

Redman:

--- Quote from: Redman on April 11, 2018, 11:30:24 AM ---I bought a can a couple months ago. Made waffles according to the directions on the can. I wasn't happy with them, too runny. I'll try again using much more fat (lard) rather than the oil called for and a different liquid. Maybe condensed milk. I got very little blueberry taste also. Doubt I'll buy again.

--- End quote ---

Revisited this yesterday. I made pancakes. Added lard, baking powder, and powdered non-fat dry milk with just enough water to get the consistency I wanted. Worked OK but I still don't get a blueberry taste. Having left overs this morning as I type this.

Carl:
  Did you add some of the 'flavor packet'???

HA HA, made you look.  The flavor is not powerful.

Redman:

--- Quote from: Carl on May 19, 2018, 06:23:13 AM ---  Did you add some of the 'flavor packet'???

HA HA, made you look.  The flavor is not powerful.

--- End quote ---

Ha Ha, no I didn't look. I did eat a couple of the little blue candies, meh they are blue that's about it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version