Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Food Storage

Exercise: what should I cook for dinner from my food storage preps?

(1/2) > >>

Smurf Hunter:
My wife is out with a friend this evening, and I'm at home with kiddos.
While I could easily do the lazy dad thing and order a pizza or make some pasta dish, I'm wondering if this could be an opportunity to be creative and make a meal from LTS items.

I've got the usual stuff.  Lots of rice, canned meats and veggies.  Dried pasta.  Freeze dried #10 cans.

Weather outside is very wet, so while I enjoy grilling, not ideal conditions for outdoor cooking methods.

Redman:
Well Smurf Hunter you been talking about roux, I bet you have flour and fat. Whomp up some gumbo with that rice, meat and veggies you got.

Smurf Hunter:
Good reminder ;)

David in MN:
Immediately thought salad nicoise. But you could also throw together a great pasta salad. New Orleans red beans and rice would work as would a split pea soup if you have some smoked meat. I also enjoy canned veggies (if good) in Thai green curry.

So many options...

Smurf Hunter:

--- Quote from: David in MN on April 06, 2018, 10:06:54 AM ---Immediately thought salad nicoise. But you could also throw together a great pasta salad. New Orleans red beans and rice would work as would a split pea soup if you have some smoked meat. I also enjoy canned veggies (if good) in Thai green curry.

So many options...

--- End quote ---

I saved the ham bone with a good amount of meat from the inlaws easter dinner.  It's in the freezer.  That could be a base for split pea soup!
Pair that with some crusty bread...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version