Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Food Storage

Pancake mix

(1/4) > >>

Freedom Forged:
Today I sealed some pancake mix in one gallon mylar bags with 500cc O2 absorbers.  I have the room in my deep freezer to put the bags. 
Is this necessary?  I'm looking at it like this.  The O2A and mylar bag should extend the mix past it's original "best used by date" so if I freeze it I'm extending it even further right?

Thoughts?
FF

Frugal Upstate:
I would say putting them in the freezer is total overkill.

Carl:
But the freezer will be more efficient when full and it wouldn't hurt .
I store a large quantity of angel food cake (with egg in the dry mix) to use for many uses (even pancakes) and a favorite is 3-2-1 cake.

I mix the angel food mix and an equal measure of other (I like carrot cake) mix DRY and follow the directions below ...I have 'cooked ' the mix in a cleaned cola can on the manifold of a diesel truck (takes longer than microwave) over a fire as breakfast cake and yes even in a microwave, Most any heat source will do and the dry mix lasts almost forever till needed ...the egg in the angel food mix is the secret to success.

3 - 2 - 1 Cake

In a gallon size zip-lock bag, combine two cake mixes (1 always has to be angel food and other one can be carrot, red velvet, pineapple, lemon, orange…any kind)…just remember that one HAS to be angel food cake mix that has egg whites in it.

When ready to prepare, use a small microwave safe container and put 3 tablespoons of mix, 2 tablespoons of water, stir and microwave for 1 minute.

3, 2, 1

Top each cake with a dollop of whipped topping and/or some fresh fruit.

(Makes 1 serving)

Storage of mix is simple…put it on a shelf in pantry.  No need to refrigerate since the mix is dry.

That could not be easier and creative mixing of other dry cake mixes makes for quick and easy ,yummy treat..GREAT for the BOB.

Cedar:

--- Quote from: Frugal Upstate on March 12, 2016, 03:53:50 PM ---I would say putting them in the freezer is total overkill.

--- End quote ---

Yep..

But pulling them put of the freezer now might lead to condensation, so if you do, watch for it.

Cedar

excaliber:
I never thought about vacuum sealing pancake mix? will this last for 10+ years like other things if you use quality mylar bags?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version