Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Processing Food For Storage

Long term storage of eggs

<< < (2/6) > >>

sage0925:
Ok...color me stupid, but I've never seen the items for sale anywhere to make water glass...can anybody give me a specific store and what section of the store they were in? I'd like to try it when we get chickens next year.

And the bit about eggs from April, May and June...is that for any part of the country? I mean, June for us in Idaho is about equivalent to April in Georgia, insofar as temperatures.

And what is "bloom"? And quietmike, just damn.  :D Lovely description.  ;D

Thanks,
Sage

Winchester32:
My experience is that fresh farm eggs, unwashed or cleaned, will store for many months if kept cool.  They do not have to be refridgerated, only kept cool. 

Processed eggs do not store as long, and therefore the storing methods are helpful. 

As a kid, we only had fresh farm eggs.  I was so surprised as a young adult that there were expiration dates on eggs bought in the store.   :o 

Thanks for the great info Archer!

quietmike:

--- Quote from: sage0925 on June 07, 2009, 08:58:24 PM ---Ok...color me stupid, but I've never seen the items for sale anywhere to make water glass...can anybody give me a specific store and what section of the store they were in? I'd like to try it when we get chickens next year.

And the bit about eggs from April, May and June...is that for any part of the country? I mean, June for us in Idaho is about equivalent to April in Georgia, insofar as temperatures.

And what is "bloom"? And quietmike, just damn.  :D Lovely description.  ;D

Thanks,
Sage

--- End quote ---

Here's a source.

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Tools___Farm___Farming___Poultry_Equipment___Waterglass__liquid_sodium_silicate____10406?Args=&from_search=1

Sorry if I grossed you out, but if you try some, report back and tell us what you would compare it to.

sage0925:
*sigh* I've heard that particular description from more than just you, dearie...lol...that doesn't make it any less gross.

Yuck...can't wait to try it out, and thanks for the link! We keep eggs in the fridge for a really long time, but I wanted the info on water glass in case of no electricity.

BTW, if you break the egg, and poke a hole in the yolk (I heard of that somewhere, can't recall why you do it), do eggs freeze well in a zip-lock? Or do they get gross and weird, like tofu? And like brown rice...that doesn't freeze worth a damn...consistency gets really crumbly and odd.

Thanks
Sage

“Mark”:

--- Quote from: Winchester32 on June 07, 2009, 09:37:19 PM ---My experience is that fresh farm eggs, unwashed or cleaned, will store for many months if kept cool.  They do not have to be refridgerated, only kept cool. 

--- End quote ---

You can keep them on the counter for a couple weeks even, if your house isn't too warm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version