Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Processing Food For Storage

fermented foods - what have you pickled?

<< < (4/13) > >>

Morning Sunshine:
I have thought about buying a container of fresh salsa from the grocery store to ferment.  I buy some every week anyway to put in my eggs, but was wondering about fermenting it.  Any thoughts on this?  I thought I would add some juice from my fermented jalapeños to kick-start the process.  At least until Summer when I can experiment with making my own fermented salsa.

xxdabroxx:
I started a mead over the weekend, it's bubbling away but I think the cold weather may be slowing it down a bit. 

Nicodemus:

--- Quote from: Morning Sunshine on January 29, 2016, 05:37:43 PM ---I have thought about buying a container of fresh salsa from the grocery store to ferment.  I buy some every week anyway to put in my eggs, but was wondering about fermenting it.  Any thoughts on this?  I thought I would add some juice from my fermented jalapeños to kick-start the process.  At least until Summer when I can experiment with making my own fermented salsa.

--- End quote ---

Just ask them what ingredients they put in it. Some might stall a ferment. I'd also wonder what the salt content was and how much more you'd have to add to ensure that some nasty organisms aren't propagated. It sounds easier and less expensive just to start off with your own recipe.

bcksknr:
     I like red beets. I like saurkraut. So, it was natural that I shredded beets and krauted them. These are wonderful.; sweet and tangy.

Perfesser:

--- Quote ---How To Make Fermented Salsa
http://wellnessmama.com/2643/fermented-salsa/
A Fast and Easy Tip

If you don’t have the time or ingredients to make your own salsa, you can get the benefits of fermented salsa by fermenting store bought salsa as well. If possible, use the fresh made salsas in the refrigerated section, but you can ferment canned versions also.
--- End quote ---

The best inexpensive fermenter is a glass vase. Find one that's just a straight cylinder (or square I guess) Whatever you use for a weight will fit small and big batches perfectly. A collapsible silicone bowl makes a perfect cover/airlock. This is the very start of a batch of kraut, before the brine has come out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version