Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Processing Food For Storage

Just purchased a freeze dryer

(1/8) > >>

Jarrett2800:
I am new to prepping and I have been searching videos and blogs for a couple of months. I started by buying rice, beans, Mylar, and oxygen absorbers and think this is a good start. I have also been looking at all the freeze dried products out there but find them to be very expensive. I wanted my own freeze dryer and the price was $20,000 and up. No possible way I could afford that. Anyway, I came across a youtube video from harvest right. The video is short and not very informative however, I contacted the company and communicated with them about their home freeze dryer and since I educated myself on how the whole sublimation process works, I was able to ask technical questions which they answered in depth.

The item looked too good to be true but I sent off the $4100.00 to them anyway. I got a call from them today that they received the money and will be sending the unit out today. With the over the phone payment of $250.00 they went ahead and sent me a Mylar bag sealer which I already received. I should be getting the freeze dryer this week. I hurried with the down payment in March because they were having a sale trying to get their name out there. I saved $600 but I also upgraded to the stainless model so there wasn't much savings after that.

I'm not trying to sell their product for them. I'm hoping it works as good as they say but I just wanted to write this out to ya'll so you can look at their product if you are looking to find a freeze dry machine to make your own food. I am sure I will be able to save money in the long run. If anyone has any idea in NC where I can buy bulk fruit and such I would appreciate any direction. I have a sam's membership but I'm sure I can find it cheaper somewhere. I will keep you posted on the dryer's performance when I try it out. Oh, and before I forget I did receive a PDF on the owners manual and recipe book from the company also. All looks legit so far...

nelson96:
When you get a chance to try it out, please let us know the steps needed to successfully freeze-dry food with it and how you think it performs.

Erigorn:
yes please test and report back. I am greatly interested in them.

I met them at a local outdoor sportsman expo in Utah about a month ago. They make it sound very good but not too good to be true. I was able to ask them many technical questions since i have researched them quite a bit. Just really hard to spend 4k on something, even if many other preps are somewhat in line. I am still looking into it though. A review form a TSP forum member would go a long way.

Please post back and I know many of us would be interested in things like:
cycle time (he told me 24-27 hours)
capacity (i read 1.5 to 2 #10 cans worth)
weight of stuff pre and post drying (i have yet to find a good resource on that which would be nice to know how much rehydrated food a #10 can of MH has in it)
cost of stuff you put in (not as important as pre/post weight)
How simple it is to use
anything else you can think of.

One thing of note is I believe Mylar has about a 10 yr shelf life while the #10 cans are more 25-30 yr (based on what some freeze dried companies have told me) Depending on your desired application you may want to look at canning them. If you have a local Mormon/LDS cannery they will loan out the canner and sell you the cans at very reasonable prices.

nelson96:

--- Quote from: Erigorn on April 07, 2014, 10:05:12 PM ---One thing of note is I believe Mylar has about a 10 yr shelf life while the #10 cans are more 25-30 yr (based on what some freeze dried companies have told me) Depending on your desired application you may want to look at canning them. If you have a local Mormon/LDS cannery they will loan out the canner and sell you the cans at very reasonable prices.
--- End quote ---

Make it an even $5K with the sealer. . . .  http://www.canningpantry.com/flywheel-can-sealer.html

Morning Sunshine:
 :popcorn:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version