Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Processing Food For Storage

Canning bacon - jars floating in pressure canner.

(1/8) > >>

Hilly:
Bacon went on sale at my fav store for $1.99 a pound, so I bought 21 pounds to put in jars. I got it in the jar, and when I went to put it in the pressure canner, the jars kept trying to float. I put the grate for a second layer on top of the jars, and put a heavy weight on top of it to keep the jars from floating. I hope that this isn't the wrong thing to do in a pressure canner. I guess I'll find out when I open it.

Herew:
How much water is in your canner? You're only supposed to have like 2 or 3 inches in the bottom.

Hilly:
There was about 3 inches of water in it. The problem was that the jars were not filled with liquid, as would be if I were canning veggies or something similar. There was enough air in the jars that when I put 7 of them in the canner, the water level came up pretty high, and the jars wanted to tip over, so I put the top rack on them and put a weight on it to keep the jars upright.

I processed the first batch, and it worked out okay, though 2 of my jars did not seal. I'm going to reprocess them tomorrow. For now, they're in the fridge. I'm just about ready to open the canner and take out the second batch. If any of those don't seal, I'll reprocess with the 2 from the first batch.

slingblade:
I'm getting ready to do the same thing.  Any suggestions?

Hilly:

--- Quote from: slingblade on July 23, 2012, 12:39:59 PM ---I'm getting ready to do the same thing.  Any suggestions?

--- End quote ---

Use thick cut bacon slices. I used regular slices, and I wish I had thick ones, as the regular become very delicate, and break apart when you try to get them off the paper. Live and learn, I suppose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version