Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Processing Food For Storage

Pomona Pectin

(1/11) > >>

LvsChant:
Per request by Morning Sunshine, Pomona Pectin will now have its own thread... beginning with her first posting about it:

--- Quote from: Morning Sunshine on August 14, 2009, 03:37:23 PM ---this is something about which I have wondered.  Thank you for posting.

until I get to that point however, I would like to plug Pomona Pectin.  You can buy it in bulk and the recipes are easy to follow, double or half (the last being particularly nice when you are talking huckleberries, and you are lucky to get just enough berries for a half batch!) as needed.  That is what I am planning to put in my storage to use while I am trial-and-erroring my homemade pectin.  I bought a hlaf-pound 2 years ago and have been very pleased.

--- End quote ---

LvsChant:
Follow up posting:

--- Quote from: Morning Sunshine on September 12, 2009, 02:17:02 PM ---Okay, Archer, lvschant,

what are the results of your pectin experiments?
Archer - you were going to compare the pomona to your low-sugar ball - how did it go?
lvschant - what kind of jam did you make with your homemade pectin?  How did it turn out?

updates please!  I just bought 2 flats of raspberries and 2 of blackberries and more jam jars and am about to finish off the pectin in my cupboard!  I need to order more!  Now.  Yesterday.  last week, even!

oh, and while on the site, I saw this little gem of info: "* Concentrated and economical -- each box makes two to four recipes. "  each box is one ounce.  so one ounce of pectin makes 4 recipes of jam and 2 of jelly.  so a pound has 16 ounces, meaning 64 batches of jam.  which fits my experience that the half-pound made at least 25 (that I could recall and count) batches of jam and jelly, since it would be 32 batches of jam in a 1/2 pound.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Morning Sunshine on September 12, 2009, 03:06:15 PM ---okay, now I am trying to decide.....

I have just discovered pomona @ Amazon..... I can get 6 1-oz boxes for $21.51; the 1/2 pound from pomonapectin.com is 29.25
that  means to get the same amount (24 oz) I would have to order:
4 of the 6 1-oz at 86.04
3 of the 1/2-pound bulks at 87.75
so it is cheaper to do the boxes.  but.....

that is a lot of smaller boxes instead of one large container of the bulk.
it is cheaper in the boxes, but more inconvenient?   ???
thinking thinking thinking....
what do you think?

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Morning Sunshine on September 12, 2009, 02:17:02 PM ---

--- Quote from: Morning Sunshine on September 12, 2009, 03:20:28 PM ---further thinking:
it qualifies for the free shipping over $25 at Amazon, so shipping is also cheaper if I buy 2 6-packs (which I was rather planning to do anyway, or rather was planning on a 1-lb bulk order); only I cannot find a shipping charge on the pomona website.  so, is the shipping free (included in the cost?) or do they add that in later?
but, the 1-lb bulk is still cheaper by a long shot
but, the individual boxes would keep the pectin from getting contaminated (or spilled), which has crossed my mind every time I open my bulk bag.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Archer on September 22, 2009, 09:20:50 PM ---Sorry, was out of town last week.
I did 3 patches, 1 with normal pectin and 2 with pomona. Not much difference in the resulting jam as to consistency. But I prefer the Pomona recipe. It uses less sugar so you actually taste the strawberries. The pomona recipe with honey is great, the strawberries and honey complement each other very nicely. I'll be doing this more often.
I like the price vs batches on the pomona. Even for the small boxes, you can get 3-4 times more than with a normal pectin. It's a little more involved to use, but well worth the little bit of extra effort.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

fritz_monroe:
Bumping the thread since it is time to make some jelly.

To answer Archer's question about shipping from Pomona, the order page says that shipping is built into the price, so free shipping there also.

archer:

--- Quote from: fritz_monroe on August 24, 2012, 11:47:22 AM ---Bumping the thread since it is time to make some jelly.

To answer Archer's question about shipping from Pomona, the order page says that shipping is built into the price, so free shipping there also.

--- End quote ---
amazing, i'd forgotten about this thread. i just ordered 2 packages of pomona pectin yesterday from their website..

Morning Sunshine:
I have been making syrups with my berries this summer.  I have used the pamona pectin at 1/4 the recommended amounts for jam.  I tried 1/2, but it was too thick and didn't really thin out when warm.  So, 1/4 the amount it is.  so if the Strawberry jam recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of pectin, use 1/2 teaspoon for syrup, and everything else the same.

We have made and enjoyed strawberry, blackberry, and blueberry syrups.  I am planning raspberry and peach as well before the end of the season.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version