Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Food Storage

Will My Food Survive the Winter in the Garage?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Illini Warrior:
you are going to have a mess to clean up next spring ...... all that glassed food are going to freeze and break ..... cans freezing and thawing is not good practice either ....... in regard to your water tank, depends on construction .... wouldn't count on using the water during the winter ...... outlet faucet probably wouldn't drain .......

Black November:
My attempt of a group response:

The shelves are wire racks, but I plan to lay some boards on them to help insulate the food from the metal. In regards to the garage door, I am looking for a more permanent solution that would allow me to occasionally open my garage door without having to reassemble a cardboard box barrier. I will probably insulate the individual door panels with the stuff from Home Depot or Lowes and may even consider a heater on a timer. Additionally I may drape some heavy blankets over each rack.

My waterheater has a large heater duct coming off of it, could I some how splice some kind of vent into it? Or would that ruin the heat to the rest of the house.

Maybe should get something like THIS if it is not too expensive to run.

Taylor3006:
If you are worried about freezing, just use a good space heater to keep it above freezing in the garage. My house is unheated (I live in Texas where it is cold only a couple months out of the year) and I run one in the kitchen when its cold, keeps everything from freezing solid and only adds a few dollars a month to the electric bill.

Truik:

--- Quote from: Black November on October 19, 2011, 11:08:39 AM ---...I may drape some heavy blankets over each rack.

Maybe should get something like THIS
--- End quote ---

I'm sure you already know this but I'm going to post it anyway: Don't set up a space heater next to a draped blanket and let it run unattended.  ::)

--- Quote from: Black November on October 19, 2011, 11:08:39 AM ---My waterheater has a large heater duct coming off of it, could I some how splice some kind of vent into it? Or would that ruin the heat to the rest of the house.
--- End quote ---

I'd be wary of venting any heat off of your water heater to warm the room for making your water heater run excessively.

Does heated air actually come out of this duct? I'm not familiar with anything like that on a water heater. (Just tryin' ta learn.)  :)

Bolomark:
plastic dust wall like this made out of thin mill plastic http://toolguyd.com/2010/04/zipwall-zippole-quick-easy-dust-barrier/
.with light bulb or small ceramic heater on timer to run at night.
the dust wall keeps the air from moving around. if not warm enough make it double thickness with dead air space between.
keep it simple.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version