Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Processing Food For Storage

salt preserved/moroccan lemons

<< < (3/7) > >>

Morning Sunshine:

--- Quote from: TwoBluesMama on December 22, 2010, 05:54:13 AM ---Question - does the salt make the lemon juice really salty tasting (or is that a big duh) or can you use this to make something sweet as in lemonade or in baking? Thanks!

--- End quote ---

It is salty juice, but not overly salty.  I still have to add some salt to my cooking when I use either the lemons or the juice in recipes.  I have been meaning to experiment with lemonade just to experiment, but I suspect it may be too salty.  As for baking, I would experiment.  Most baking calls for salt (in fact, cannot think of a recipe that does not, but I haven't seen ALL the baking recipes, so I will not say "All").  cut the called-for salt in half and see where it gets you.
or, if it were me, I would make a regular-follow-the-recipe batch, taste the batter, and then try a batch with the preserved lemons and see if you need to add salt.
also, on some of the "preserved lemons" websites, they say that in Morocco, cooks will rinse their lemons before use in cooking.

TwoBluesMama:
Thanks MS - I appreciate your input!

sdcharger:
You can wash or blanch to remove some of the salt.  It might help if you want to use the lemon in something sweet.

Morning Sunshine:
I just did a small jar of limes in this fashion.  they were not organic.  I cannot for the life of me find organic limes for less than $4 a pound.  and I wanted to try this before I forked over the big bucks.

anyway, I had some limes, and I followed the above directions.  some differences:
the lemons retained a bright yellow color.  the limes are kind of brownish-green.
there is not a lot of extra juice in the limes, in fact, I have had to add lime juice to the jar once while it was sitting on the counter and again when I used some the other day.  I have never had to do that with the lemons.
they seemed salty.  I know, "duh - you packed them in salt!"  but the lemons have never tasted salty to me.  maybe with limes being smaller I need to adjust the amount per lime.

I have used them once, I had a jar of chicken breasts that did not seal while canning last week, so I took that jar, 1/8 c of taco seasoning, and 2 wedges of limes from the jar.  cooked together for 20 min or so.  served as chicken tacos.  the limes gave a nice flavor.  I liked it.  I think I would like a jar in the fridge.  maybe next year I will be able to find organic limes somewhere....

Morning Sunshine:

--- Quote from: littletea on December 10, 2010, 06:27:45 AM ---Great tutorial!  So the preserved lemons must be stored in the fridge and not the pantry?
--- End quote ---

I never did answer this.  these were developed before refrigeration in a hot land.  technically, from what I have read, they will last 4-6 months on the counter.  Since I can only get a good deal on organic lemons once a year, I must needs have them last for a full year, so I refrigerate them.  slow down the "going bad" process.

I do not normally care about the "organic" label, but since I will be eating the peels of these, I care about that here.  and yes, it really is the peel you will be eating.  and it is simply marvelous! mmm.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version