Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Processing Food For Storage

salt preserved/moroccan lemons

(1/7) > >>

Morning Sunshine:
ok, this is my first time trying to add pictures to a post, so bear with me here....

wash your lemons.  these were organic lemons, so I didn't go crazy with the washings, just warm water and a bit of vinegar

cute little lemon on a cutting board with a sharp knife.

blurry picture of my cute little boy cutting a lemon.  notice how the lemon is blossom-side up.  You want to cut almost through the lemon, leave about 1/2-1 inch intact.  Cut an "x" into the lemon:

see how it is still holding together?

oops, I forgot that you cut off the bottom just enough that it can stand up while you are cutting the "x"

now you see our clean 2-quart jar.  and a tupperware full of kosher salt (the dirty plate and eraser have nothing to do with lemons, and everything to do with 4 children homeschooling!)

I do not have a picture of this step, but you take your salt and coat the inside of the lemon with it.  Some websites I looked at said 1 teaspoon per lemon, another 2 Tablespoons, and a wide variety in between.  I went with about a tablespoon.  Rub this in with your very clean fingers.  I hope you do not have a paper cut.

put the lemons in your jar, and start packing them down.  you want them squished!!!

as you squish them, you will be making lemon juice.  a very salty lemon juice - you can see the salt on the walls of the jar.

keep packing and squishing and packing and squishing until you cannot put in even a part of a lemon.

it will look like this, at least mine did.  leave it on the counter for a week, turning and swishing the bottle once a day.  put it in the fridge for another week or so, then you can start using it.

the lemons need to be submerged in the salty lemon juice acid.  If you use the juice without any lemons, your exposed lemons will go bad.  So try not to drink use the juice without also using the lemons.

Morning Sunshine:
ummm..... no pictures.... help?

Nicodemus:
There's a good tutorial on how to post pictures to the forum here.

Morning Sunshine:
ok, this is my first time trying to add pictures to a post, so bear with me here....

wash your lemons.  these were organic lemons, so I didn't go crazy with the washings, just warm water and a bit of vinegar

cute little lemon on a cutting board with a sharp knife.

blurry picture of my cute little boy cutting a lemon.  notice how the lemon is blossom-side up.  You want to cut almost through the lemon, leave about 1/2-1 inch intact.  Cut an "x" into the lemon:

see how it is still holding together?

oops, I forgot that you cut off the bottom just enough that it can stand up while you are cutting the "x" - see the other ends?

now you see our clean 2-quart jar.  and a tupperware full of kosher salt (the dirty plate and eraser have nothing to do with lemons, and everything to do with 4 children homeschooling!)

I do not have a picture of this step, but you take your salt and coat the inside of the lemon with it.  Some websites I looked at said 1 teaspoon per lemon, another 2 Tablespoons, and a wide variety in between.  I went with about a tablespoon.  Rub this in with your very clean fingers.  I hope you do not have a paper cut.

put the lemons in your jar, and start packing them down.  you want them squished!!!

as you squish them, you will be making lemon juice.  a very salty lemon juice - you can see the salt on the walls of the jar.

keep packing and squishing and packing and squishing until you cannot put in even a part of another lemon.

it will look like this, at least mine did.  leave it on the counter for a week, turning and swishing the bottle once a day.  put it in the fridge for another week or so, then you can start using it.

the lemons need to be submerged in the salty lemon juice acid.  If you use the juice without any lemons, your exposed lemons will go bad.  So try not to drink use the juice without also using the lemons.

Morning Sunshine:

--- Quote from: Nicodemus on December 09, 2010, 08:55:10 PM ---There's a good tutorial on how to post pictures to the forum here.

--- End quote ---

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version